Effecting devices on USB port?

jriker1

I have been trying to troubleshoot with a new Ryzen 7950x system an issue with a home automation dongle plugged into the USB 2.0 port on the computer. it's a Aeotec Gen5 Z-Wave dongle. Seems to work and eventually starts timing out. I've narrowed it down I believe to whenever I launch HWinfo 64 bit to check temps of my water cooling sensors. Is it possible that HWInfo is reading data from that port and effecting what's attached?

Should note it is connected to what shows as a AMD USB 2.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.20 and shows as COM3 port.

Note I also have an issue like some others where the app is locking up reading data on start since installing an updated audio driver Realtek USB Audio Driver V6.3.9600.2342 For Windows 10/11 64-bit. but probably should save that for another conversation.

Last edited:
HWiNFO is only enumerating USB-attached devices using standard methods, no specific queries are sent to the devices.
So this should not be causing any issue with USB devices.

Thanks for the reply. Not 100% sure what standard methods would be, however are there devices that would stop responding if a second piece of software tried to access the port when in use by another software?

I'm not aware of such devices but cannot rule out such bugs. In such case it would be a bug in the device/firmware, not HWiNFO.

Back