Embedded Controller Sensor

wlowe

When I boot HWINFO64 it tells me that there is an Embedded Controller (EC) sensor that will report data that can cause latency, higher load or instability.  It asks if I want to disable the sensor or continue using it.  My question is how do I determine which sensor it is talking about so I can decide if its a sensor I can live without.  I considered disabling the sensor to see which values disappear, but I'm not sure that I will have the ability to enable it if I decide to continue using it.

Don't worry, you will have a chance to enable it anytime - it will still appear in the list of sensors with a red X and won't return values if you disable it.

Martin said:
Don't worry, you will have a chance to enable it anytime - it will still appear in the list of sensors with a red X and won't return values if you disable it.

Ah yes, I see what you are talking about, right click on a sensor and it allows you to disable/enable it.

So, I hit the disable button on bootup and it disabled all the EC sensor data from my Asus motherboard.  No big deal because I use Asus thermal radar to monitor those sensors.  I still have the sensor data that I use the most available in hwinfo.  

Also, before I disabled the sensors my total cpu usage at idle would sometimes go up to 10 percent and be very inconsistent with spiking. Before disabling the sensor task manager showed 6 to 7 percent cpu usage for hwinfo, after disabling the sensor it shows .1 to .2 percent cpu usage for hwinfo!  

Last, I would like to say that this is probably one of my favorite programs.  The amount of different data that is available is enormous.  The ability to double click a sensor to view a graph is great for monitoring cpu usage or temps over extended time periods, like playing games.  The ability to view sensor data from within your games is super cool and no doubt has saved more than a few users from overheating.  When upgrading to the newest version I accidently reset my old settings, took me about twenty minutes to reset all my preferences, no big deal, and I made sure to use the configuration backup feature this time.

Thanks for your quick responses to my questions and for providing such a great program.

Yes, the higher CPU usage is exactly one of the reasons why HWiNFO warns about that sensor.
Thanks for your feedback ;)

Back