IMPORTANT Explaining the AMD Ryzen "Power Reporting Deviation" -metric in HWiNFO

Hello,

I have an R5 3600 cooled by an Arctic Freezer 34 with 2 fans, with a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite, nothing changed, except XMP. The airflow in the case is really good, ambient temps were 22-23 °C. (3-3 intake and exhaust fans.)
The minimum deviation with Cinebench R20 was 88.3% (I attached a picture of another test) which is not a lot, but I would like to ask for some help how to set it properly.
1591832103131.png
My concerns are more focused on temps, with a maximum of ~96°C, which is a lot in my opinion.
Peak Core Voltages are 1,25V when the R20 is running.
Can anybody help me what to do to not destroy my CPU? :D
Thanks.

Take the screenshot while CB20 run is in progress, not before or after it finishes, and take note of the 'Current' column. Its easier to tell exactly what your load was running at that way.

Hello,

I have an R5 3600 cooled by an Arctic Freezer 34 with 2 fans, with a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite, nothing changed, except XMP. The airflow in the case is really good, ambient temps were 22-23 °C. (3-3 intake and exhaust fans.)
The minimum deviation with Cinebench R20 was 88.3% (I attached a picture of another test) which is not a lot, but I would like to ask for some help how to set it properly.
View attachment 4675
My concerns are more focused on temps, with a maximum of ~96°C, which is a lot in my opinion.
Peak Core Voltages are 1,25V when the R20 is running.
Can anybody help me what to do to not destroy my CPU? :D
Thanks.

check to see if your cooler is mounted correctly, tightened down correctly, and has thermal interface material covering entire CPU heatspreader. Don’t take heatsink off unless you have more TIM on hand to re install it. Or buy an Artic cooling Liquid Freezer II 120 AIO and your temps should go down and fan will be quieter.

Hmm just did a test with idle and with a cinebench 20 test , but i get these results :

with cinebench 20 i get these results:
cinabench 20.png

while playing a game cpu @11% i get these results:
idle.png

hardware is :

amd ryzen 9 3900x
asus Rog strix x570- E
(Newest bios)

My cpu idles really hot , even bought a new cooler becouse i thoufght mine was broken , but i still have the same problem.

what can i do about this ? ,or do i just wait till they come with a new bios firmware ? or what can i do now to not destroy my cpu ?
hope someone can help me , Thanks.

Hmm just did a test with idle and with a cinebench 20 test , but i get these results :

with cinebench 20 i get these results:
View attachment 4677

while playing a game cpu @11% i get these results:
View attachment 4678

hardware is :

amd ryzen 9 3900x
asus Rog strix x570- E
(Newest bios)

what can i do about this ? , just wait till they come with a new bios firmware ? or what can i do now to not destroy my cpu ?
hope someone can help me , Thanks.

First of all, this issue has been blown way out of proportion, your CPU is fine. You don’t have anything to worry about. Mobo manufacturers are highlyunlikely to artificially boost yourCPU so much that it burns up early, not good for them when upset customers start calling or they get high RMA levels. Your CPU is working just fine, you do not need to worry. Intel mobo manufacturers have been doing this a lot longer with Intel boards.

Hello!

My specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming (BIOS version: 1407, the latest)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
Everything is on factory value (D.O.C.P. is enabled, but no OC or something).

The current value was during the test between 104-107%. Is it accaptable? If no, what I need to change in BIOS (I don't have experience in the field). The temperature of CPU was between 59-61 °C with Noctua NH-U12A (the temp in my room is about 24 °C).
On idle was the PRD 454%. This is not problem?

Thank you for your help!

Could please someone check my results? :)

I dont end understanding those percentages... So if its over 100% means you are using less power so its good, and if its under 100% means you are asking more power to the processor that can harm it?

gebhaard: What helped me was lowering the vcore (CPU core voltage). What's your vcore typically running at, idle and load? And is your heatsink clean and clear of dust, etc. Is your CPU fan spinning up to accommodate the increases in temperature? If you haven't already, you may want to create a fan curve in your motherboard software for your CPU fan(s), and probably even your case fans. I typically have my CPU fan ramp up along with the CPU temperatures, and have my case fan's curve set to the CPU as well, so that they come up slowly with CPU temperatures (use your heuristics to lag the fans behind herky/jerky CPU jumps in temperature) that way they aren't ramping up and down with every tiny change, but will change gradually with actual longer-term changes in temp.

Torse: From what I've gathered, anything drastically +/- 100% isn't good, but being under 100% by a large margin is the worst. Being over 100% means you're not supplying enough power to the CPU, which can also be bad.

I get between 129% and 318% at idle (about 220% average), currently running Cinebench R20 and I get 128-131%.
Is it because I overclocked my CPU ?

CPU : Ryzen 5 3600, OC @ 3.8 GHz, 1.1V vCore
MB : Asus X570 TUF Gaming PLUS, bios v1407 (04/01/2020)
Temp : 38,6°C (average, mostly idle) ; 59,8°C (max = running CInebench R20)

Last edited:
Regarding temp, anything over 60-70C for a CPU, even the 3900-3950X under benchmark, seems too high to me, unless it's very unique and wouldn't be reached normally.
Using Corsair i150, I peak at max 60C under high load (which is hard to reach with the 3950X, even when having a 1440p game opened with multiple consuming apps in the background I barely reach 30% CPU).

I dont end understanding those percentages... So if its over 100% means you are using less power so its good, and if its under 100% means you are asking more power to the processor that can harm it?

Don’t worry about this issue, it has been blown out of proportion, this sort of thing has been going on with Intel boards for years now so nothing new and nothing to worry about. Your CPUis fine and will be fine.

I get between 129% and 318% at idle (about 220% average), currently running Cinebench R20 and I get 128-131%.
Is it because I overclocked my CPU ?

CPU : Ryzen 5 3600, OC @ 3.8 GHz, 1.1V vCore
MB : Asus X570 TUF Gaming PLUS, bios v1407 (04/01/2020)
Temp : 38,6°C (average, mostly idle) ; 59,8°C (max = running CInebench R20)

Per the OP, only a full Cinebench R20 load will give you the “correct“ power deviation numbers, idle and over locked will yield skewed results.

Don’t worry about this issue, it has been blown out of proportion, this sort of thing has been going on with Intel boards for years now so nothing new and nothing to worry about. Your CPUis fine and will be fine.

Back