IMPORTANT Explaining the AMD Ryzen "Power Reporting Deviation" -metric in HWiNFO

Mine wasn't running fine, was actually underperforming. Got rid of my 5900X and picked up an 11900K instead. Cleared up all my issues... memory controller, USB, power metrics. Everyone on the internet was blaming my RAM, etc etc etc. Nope. Same hardware other than different motherboard and CPU. No issues. Faster single core. Multicore benches are RIGHT behind my old 5900X with default BIOS settings (MCE) and ABT enabled. Been happy as a pig in mud for months now. I hope the rest of you get your issues sorted.. I had more weirdness going on than just this issue, and it all started with the move from a 2700X to 5900X. It was time to move on.

I'd suggest seek for a support assistance first, cause it might be just a fw bug.
I've done that and posted gigabyte's support replies here in this thread. They said everything is ok. I haven't bothered anymore, I just use my computer instead of check hw monitoring programs all the time.

Apologies if this has already been answered....but if you disable turbo boost does this affect power reporting deviation? I have a massive max reading for my 3900X...but dunno if it's something I should consider accurate seeing as nothing is in red.

I’ve got a power deviation of 45% and wondering if this is related to infrequent reboots I’ve been having. Asus Rog VIII hero atx am4 with a ryzen 7 3700x , 2080 super, and a 650 w gold psu. Mostly used for PCVR. My temperatures are usually no higher than 75 at most according to CoreTemp, but is that figure inaccurate due to the power deviation? Occasionally the PC will reboot in the middle of a game. It will generally run fine after that but this happens probably 2-3x a week. From what I’ve been able to gather the psu seems fine and I thought the temps were fine as well but wondering if I’m getting false readings… I had been running with the power boost set to auto. But I’ve disabled it and I’m currently running at 3.6 ghz with the stress test running in cpu-z and like I mentioned power deviation is around 45%

I'm soooo confused by all this. Just installed a GB X570s Aero G motherboard with my R5 3600. My Power Reporting Deviation is ranging from 2%-7% at more or less idle. Min of 1.8% and Max of 59.1% I ran Cinebench R23 for a bit to see what my number are. How concerned should I be about this?

I'm soooo confused by all this. Just installed a GB X570s Aero G motherboard with my R5 3600. My Power Reporting Deviation is ranging from 2%-7% at more or less idle. Min of 1.8% and Max of 59.1% I ran Cinebench R23 for a bit to see what my number are. How concerned should I be about this?
Hi
Dont be confused. Its been said like a 100 times already in this thread and of course also in the initial post of this discussion.
PRD does not count for anything when idling or under anything else than a full 100% CPU load.
I'm a little confused by your numbers... Was it under 100% load the PRD at 59%? If yes then what was the PPT(w) at the same time?

Hi
Dont be confused. Its been said like a 100 times already in this thread and of course also in the initial post of this discussion.
PRD does not count for anything when idling or under anything else than a full 100% CPU load.
I'm a little confused by your numbers... Was it under 100% load the PRD at 59%? If yes then what was the PPT(w) at the same time?
I was just running Cinebench R23 so cpu was under full load. The value while running it ranged from 55% - 59%

I was just running Cinebench R23 so cpu was under full load. The value while running it ranged from 55% - 59%
And what was the PPT(W) during that run? You have to calculate PRD with PPT to find the true power of the CPU during the 100% load.

Using the Asus B550-E "Gaming" WIFI with stock settings (only AMP/XMP/DOCP enabled), HWiNFO is reporting values between 89.7% and 256.2% - the latter figure is confusing as it's not (I believe, and apologise if incorrect) covered by the fascinating write-up in the opening post.
21-11-2021-Screenshot 2021-11-21 215242.png
The Asus board does feature two telemetry-related settings in the BIOS, but I've not touched them. What does the 256% figure mean?

Please ignore this post - I'll leave it here for reference but I made the mistake of not running an all-core load, which means the figure is going to be incorrect. I would suggest hiding this value by default, or not making it red by default in future versions as it can be confusing.

1639456384899.png

I got on concerned about my readings, but it seems to be the norm - especially if you're doing some PBO tweakings.
But ill post for fun I guess, 68.1% to 199% lol

ryzen 5 5600x
8gb x2 3200 mhz
rtx 3080
1000W super flower leadex se platinum
Aorus b450 pro wifi

What we are supposed to do if it shows under 85%?
If your mb bios have "vdd full scale current" options unlocked (CPU and SOC have their own scale), then you just have to tune CPU one manually, until PRD is "fixed".
Otherwise, you'll have to ask mb vendor to provide you BIOS with the above options unlocked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. recently swapped to 5900x and with my b550 aorus master it seems to never drop below 100% power reporting deviation (usually at 100-104% under all core load like cinebench). However when running hwinfo in the background I noticed that when I play some games like (forgive me) BF2042 sometimes I find that PRD dropped to like 65-80%. Games are by no means full load and I guess I can ignore these drops?

Hi. recently swapped to 5900x and with my b550 aorus master it seems to never drop below 100% power reporting deviation (usually at 100-104% under all core load like cinebench). However when running hwinfo in the background I noticed that when I play some games like (forgive me) BF2042 sometimes I find that PRD dropped to like 65-80%. Games are by no means full load and I guess I can ignore these drops?
Yes, no game is able to provide such a sustained CPU load so the result cannot be taken into account.

Hi Guys, can you Help me? I have a MSI X570 Pro Gaming Motherboard and a Ryzen 5600 x - I cant find my failure Last AGESA Clean BIOS and idle on this pic...
IMG_20220104_102815.jpg

Hi Guys, can you Help me? I have a MSI X570 Pro Gaming Motherboard and a Ryzen 5600 x - I cant find my failure Last AGESA Clean BIOS and idle on this pic...
View attachment 7266
I believe the value is only useful under close to 100% CPU utilisation. Personally, I corrected telemetry (so it doesn't mislead) in the UEFI/BIOS and then disabled monitoring of Power Reporting Deviation in HWiNFO as it's misleading.

Back