Fan control guide

Sorry, there isn't such. But search this forum, there are plenty of posts related.

Thanks. I figured most of it but I have a couple of questions, if I may ask.

1.Does "System Auto" reset the fan controls to the manufacturers default?
2.Does shutting down and restarting the computer reset the fan controls to the manufacturers default?
3.What is the "Spin-down after"?
4.Is the "Respin period" for HWInfo to regain control of fans in case the manufacturers default take control? I find that my manual settings are not being overridden for my laptop. Should I keep it unchecked?
5.There is so much temperatures being monitored, which one is the most important one to check if the laptop is overheating? (attached a screenshot for my laptop).
6. For "Custom Auto", which sensor should I use? (screenshot attached)

Sorry If I am asking too much questions but I recently purchased this laptop (DELL G3) and the fans get really loud during light usage. I tried undervolting, disabling TurboBoost, official Dell power manager but none of these solutions kept it quiet. And since it's new, I don't want to make it overheat by mistake. Better safe than sorry as they say. And I just want to say thank you as well for your hard work on making this feature possible. It's really Godsend!

Thanks. I figured most of it but I have a couple of questions, if I may ask.

1.Does "System Auto" reset the fan controls to the manufacturers default?
2.Does shutting down and restarting the computer reset the fan controls to the manufacturers default?
3.What is the "Spin-down after"?
4.Is the "Respin period" for HWInfo to regain control of fans in case the manufacturers default take control? I find that my manual settings are not being overridden for my laptop. Should I keep it unchecked?
5.There is so much temperatures being monitored, which one is the most important one to check if the laptop is overheating? (attached a screenshot for my laptop).
6. For "Custom Auto", which sensor should I use? (screenshot attached)

Sorry If I am asking too much questions but I recently purchased this laptop (DELL G3) and the fans get really loud during light usage. I tried undervolting, disabling TurboBoost, official Dell power manager but none of these solutions kept it quiet. And since it's new, I don't want to make it overheat by mistake. Better safe than sorry as they say. And I just want to say thank you as well for your hard work on making this feature possible. It's really Godsend!

screens: https://imgur.com/a/8SA0fJT

1. Yes
2. Yes. In some rare cases it might be required to power off the system and remove battery+power cord for complete restore.
3. This determine the number of samples the value needs to out of range in order to spin the fan down, sort of hysteresis.
4. Yes, yes in such case
5. CPU Package is the most important value in this case for CPU. You might also check the GPU Temperature if that's reaching high values.
6. see above

Martin said:
1. Yes
2. Yes. In some rare cases it might be required to power off the system and remove battery+power cord for complete restore.
3. This determine the number of samples the value needs to out of range in order to spin the fan down, sort of hysteresis.
4. Yes, yes in such case
5. CPU Package is the most important value in this case for CPU. You might also check the GPU Temperature if that's reaching high values.
6. see above

Thank you. 

For the spin-down, it's like a delay before the fans spin down if temps go from one target temperature to a lower one quickly, right?
Got a couple more questions...

When configuring my "Custom Auto" profile, there is two CPU Packages to choose from: 
-CPU [#0]: Intel Core i5-8300H: DTS
-CPU [#0]: Intel Core i5-8300H: Enhanced
Which one should I choose?

For the "Custom Auto" profile of the second fan, when selecting my GPU (GPU [#1]: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti: ) as the sensor, there is no temperature source to choose from. In other words, I can't select a GPU temperature sensor to configure the second fan.

Finally, do you think around 50 -60 degrees is safe enough to run my laptop without fans? i5-8300h and 1050Ti

Thank you again for the amazing work you have done.

Emil

emilio8x said:
Thank you. 

For the spin-down, it's like a delay before the fans spin down if temps go from one target temperature to a lower one quickly, right?

Yes. This is to avoid frequent fluctuations in fan speed in case the temperature changes too frequently. So it delays the fan spin-down until the temperature values stabilizes.

emilio8x said:
When configuring my "Custom Auto" profile, there is two CPU Packages to choose from: 
-CPU [#0]: Intel Core i5-8300H: DTS
-CPU [#0]: Intel Core i5-8300H: Enhanced
Which one should I choose?

This should not matter as both are same in your case.

emilio8x said:
For the "Custom Auto" profile of the second fan, when selecting my GPU (GPU [#1]: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti: ) as the sensor, there is no temperature source to choose from. In other words, I can't select a GPU temperature sensor to configure the second fan.

This might be because the GPU is currently switched off (as you can see it reports 0 C). Try to put some load on it or wake it up via NVIDIA Control Panel until you see that the sensor shows a temperature.

emilio8x said:
Finally, do you think around 50 -60 degrees is safe enough to run my laptop without fans? i5-8300h and 1050Ti

<50 C might be OK, but above that IMO it would be better to switch the fan on.

Hi, is there a HWinfo fan control guide I could look up?

Thanks
Hi Emilio, I just cannot find Fan Control anywhere.
I do not see the icon, I do not see options to set.. I've looked this forum a lot.
Can you give me some tip?

Back