Got 3 "internal cpu errors" on a new z490/i9 upgrade. How many is too many?

Mr Smith

I upgraded my system recently to an Asus ROG STRIX z490-E motherboard/Intel i9 10850K-based build with 32GB of G.Skill (2x16) RAM running at its XMP profile of 4000MHz. I do not overclock anything other than using XMP memory profiles. Motherboard BIOS is at default settings. Been up and running about 3 days and no obvious instability (crashes, BSoDs, etc.) but how many "CPU internal Errors" in hwinfo is too many? Windows10 Event Viewer reports no hardware issues, just the 3 errors in hwinfo. I do put my system into Sleep mode every night and I think this happened after it had awakened. Any tips on what I should or shouldn't be worried about when using hwinfo with my new build?Clipboard01.jpg

I upgraded my system recently to an Asus ROG STRIX z490-E motherboard/Intel i9 10850K-based build with 32GB of G.Skill (2x16) RAM running at its XMP profile of 4000MHz. I do not overclock anything other than using XMP memory profiles. Motherboard BIOS is at default settings. Been up and running about 3 days and no obvious instability (crashes, BSoDs, etc.) but how many "CPU internal Errors" in hwinfo is too many? Windows10 Event Viewer reports no hardware issues, just the 3 errors in hwinfo. I do put my system into Sleep mode every night and I think this happened after it had awakened. Any tips on what I should or shouldn't be worried about when using hwinfo with my new build?View attachment 6412

Try increasing the loadline calibration level, CPU Core voltage slightly, or reduce the cache ratio slightly.
Possibly the auto voltages on that board are too lenient for the default loadline settingss.

Were you playing Minecraft or RDR2 or Ghostrunner or something?

Try increasing the loadline calibration level, CPU Core voltage slightly, or reduce the cache ratio slightly.
Possibly the auto voltages on that board are too lenient for the default loadline settingss.

Thanks for the tip(s). I'm slightly less concerned now because it hasn't happened in over 24 hours. I don't think I was playing a game or anything though it's possible it happened right after it had awoken from sleep. I always seemed to experience a lot of weirdness over the years with several different PC builds with STR sleep modes so maybe that was the issue. At any rate, I set up a Window popup alert with hwinfo to notify me immediately if it happens again. System seems stable otherwise.

Well, after a couple of days with no errors, I started getting them again after running two instances of WinRar and unraring two archives at the same time. I got 2 errors but both correctable at least so no system reboot or anything. I'll try your recommended settings. Also, I'm using an old CM LED 212 air cooler, and though my cpu temps are showing as within limits, I'm getting a 280mm liquid cooler next week so that might help make things more stable

Last edited:
I've been playing Minecraft for about 10 minutes and i get 3 WHEA CPU Internal Error. CPU is at stock (i9 10900KF) and Minecraft is at "vanilla" (not modded at all). I've tried both X.M.P Enabled and Disabled for 10 minutes but it still accurs. I have 32GB @ 3200Mhz in total of 4 sticks. My motherboard is an ASUS TUF Gaming Z490 Plus. What can i do? I've searched and ppl who usually gets these kind of errors have either OC'd their CPU or is playing MC modded.

I can't help you with the Minecraft problem but my issue turned out to be a bad rar archive that i was using WinRar to test my rig with. As a quick and dirty test of stability, I was unraring several large archives at once and I'd get the errors along with the winrar program crashing but as soon as I deleted that archive and retested, the issue went completely away. My guess is that hwinfo is sensitive to certain programs and reports the cpu internal errors, but these programs seem to be very rare.

Back