HDD Load 100% if S.M.A.R.T. Support is enabled

CrazyT

Hi all together,
i encountered an issue with the newest Windows 10 insider Build on the Dev Channel (Build 20251.1)

If i enable S.M.A.R.T. Support it loads the HDD where HWinfo is running from up to 100% and makes it totally unresponsive.

Takes around 30-60 seconds till hwinfo is started and everything is back to normal again.

And yes it's reproducable, disabling it and it just starts up fine.

What i noticed:
HDD Temperatures aren't recognized anymore (Crystal Disk f.e. reads them just fine)
S.M.A.R.T. Support is bugged and hogs the HDD where HWinfo is installed on

Tested Version are the 6.32 Stable aswell as the 6.34 Stable, both are showing the same symptoms

System is an old testrig:
Mainboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350
Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
GPU: Nvidia GTX 950
PSU: Bequiet Pure Power Pro 11 500 Watt

Was this issue present on earlier Windows versions? It might be a problem of the SATA driver.
Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File for analysis.

How can i create a debug file?

No wasn't persistent earlier, but it's only on HWinfo, no other software shows this behavior

Is the HDD hogged only during HWiNFO startup and once it's started and sensors are active it doesn't hog anymore?

Only during startup, after that it reads just fine (well ok no temps are showing...) And when it runs, all is just fine

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    672.2 KB · Views: 2
Well i don't think it's a driver more like how information are transmitted in between.

Which driver is important for that?

If i'm not totally wrong it should be the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller" aswell as the "Drives"

Atleast from the date and drivernumber didn't changed a bit.

The controller driver is the one that matters, but it might be also something else along the interface.
Since the build you're using is an interim one and not an official release, things might change later in the system and be fixed.

Back