HDD SMART Polling spins up HDD

Xanzib

Dear Martin,

Thank you so much for all your work on HWinfo - it is such a useful tool. I don't know if this is a bug but would make a great difference to me.

I have been slowly removing all the fans from my PC to get some peace while I think. The loudest component is now my HDD which I cannot afford to replace with an SDD because of its size. As I have gone fan-less I have been very keen to monitor my temperatures. I try and keep my HDD spun down as much as possible to make it quiet because I only use for long term storage of large files. Unfortunately every time HWinfo polls the HDD for temperature data it also spins up the drive which makes (compared to the silence) lots of noise.

I also use Speccy and HDDScan both of which seem to be able to poll the drive for its temperature without spinning it up. Is it possible for HWinfo to do the same?

The drive is a 4TB TOSHIBA HDWE150

Thanks so much for your help.

James

This has been discussed a few times on this forum. You can setup a custom polling interval from SMART queries, that should significantly reduce the number of spin-ups.

Dear Martin, Thanks so much for your reply. I did search the forum first and realise that I can reduce the polling interval. The trouble is that if I set the polling intervals widely enough apart not to spin the drive up regularly then effectively the HDD temperature monitoring has ceased and I might as well do what I do now which is simply not to monitor that drive at all. Is it possible for HWinfo to poll the drive without spinning it up? Thanks. James

That's difficult to tell as there are multiple methods used to query data from the drive and I don't know which of them is causing this.
Try to disable the "ATA Statistics Support" option in main settings / safety if that will make a change.

Dear Martin, thanks so much for the suggestion. I have tired and monitored for 24 hours but HWinfo still seems to spin up the drive when it polls even when ATA Statistics Support is disabled. I imagine that this is a seriously niche issue so please don't worry. The hard drive seems to vary between about 32 and 37C which although not perfect is still well with tolerance. Being totally dependant on convection I was just hoping to monitor it more closely as the weather gets slightly but warmer! Thanks again. James

HI Martin i dont know if my issue fits here and its because of the constant smart polling , but when i am running hwinfo64 , on my windows 10m 1909 box with aorus x570 master, amd 3800x and hdd seagate exos enterprise 8tb sata storage drive and there is no activity on the hdd since os and everything else is running on the nvme , hwinfo causes excessive head parking on my seagate exos enterprise drive

HI Martin i dont know if my issue fits here and its because of the constant smart polling , but when i am running hwinfo64 , on my windows 10m 1909 box with aorus x570 master, amd 3800x and hdd seagate exos enterprise 8tb sata storage drive and there is no activity on the hdd since os and everything else is running on the nvme , hwinfo causes excessive head parking on my seagate exos enterprise drive
Yes, most probably this is a similar issue.

Back