Hiding multiple sensors very difficult with new settings

doveman

I personally preferred the old settings being all on one page but I understand there were good reasons for changing them to what they are now.

However, what really bugs me is that I recall with the old version I could hide an entire group of sensors (say all of those for a HDD or motherboard sensor that only gives faulty readings) by simpling setting the first line/title of that sensor group to hide but with the new version, doing so just hides that line, leaving all the sensors below it still showing and it also moves the cursor to the top of the list, so that I have to scroll down and find the next line to delete every time, which is jolly tedious when there's 10 or so lines I need to hide. I can't even multi-select lines to hide at once. I presume unhiding a group would be more difficult than it used to be as well, as each line would have to be re-enabled from the Hidden items list instead of just re-ticking the Title/Heading line for the group as before.

Any chance this could be reverted to the old behaviour which was much more user-friendly?

This has been changed when I allowed reordering of sensors values. That resulted in changing the way how values are hidden, since some users preferred to hide the sensor title only and not its values.
I could either add an option to "Hide entire sensor", or think about implementing multi-row selection, which would be a bit more tricky. The question is also whether to handle this straight from the main sensor screen, or the Configure Sensor screen. Probably the multi-row selection would be a more flexible option.
I agree that this should be improved, so I'll have a look at that. However, currently I'm intensively working on adding other new features like snapping of windows (sensors, graphs), etc. It looks nice so far, I'm sure users will like this ;)

OK thanks. I didn't actually realise I could hide lines from the main screen and it's a bit easier from there but it would be great if you could improve it further when you have the time. Look forward to seeing the results of what you're working on at the moment as well :)

I think I'll choose the easiest way for now ;) - when the "Locked order" (now renamed to "Fixed order") option is enabled, then hiding the sensor will work as before - it will hide the entire sensor.

doveman said:
OK thanks. I didn't actually realise I could hide lines from the main screen and it's a bit easier from there but it would be great if you could improve it further when you have the time. Look forward to seeing the results of what you're working on at the moment as well :)

Me to look, Go, Go Martin..... ;)

Thanks, I've tested and it works. A couple of issues though.

When unhiding a group, it has all it's sensors set to disable monitoring, regardless of what state they were in when I hid the group. The title line is not disabled though, so I have to click on the title, set that to disable and then enable it again and that enables all the sensors under it.

The other problem is with the Hidden Items list in Settings, which is rather small and cramped and can't be resized, requiring a lot of scrolling up and down to find stuff and also doesn't clearly group sensors, so for example if I hide a group, all the sensors in that group are shown in the Hidden Items list under the title of that group but with nothing to indicate that those sensors belong to that group/title. Perhaps it would be an idea to have the groups expandable/collapsable (defaulting to collapsed) in this list, so that if say only a couple of groups have been hidden, there will only be two lines in the list unless the user expands them but the window does really need to be resizeable as well for when they are expanded or lots of individual sensors have been hidden.

Back