High memory usage

Martin said:
Thanks. Was this done with Crossfire enabled ?
I also see that you upgraded to Crimson 17.10.1. Does the problem persist there ?

Yes. I always enable Crossfire.
Crimson 17.10.1 didn't fix it.

17.10.2 also didn't make it...
I can't see this problem in known issues of driver release notes, so maybe AMD don't want to touch their obsolete extreme hot 390X :s

So far they were not able to reproduce this and think the problem is in HWiNFO.
But for HWiNFO it's the same no matter if Crossfire is enabled or not and no memory leaks have been observed on other systems.

Martin said:
So far they were not able to reproduce this and think the problem is in HWiNFO.
But for HWiNFO it's the same no matter if Crossfire is enabled or not and no memory leaks have been observed on other systems.

It's time to change Graphics card.
:s :s :s :s :s :s :s :s

Oh, no.. this is a software problem that should be resolved, no need to change hardware due to this.

I found my Corsair Link 4 (using for my PSU fan adjust) is also leaking memory.
Maybe something is wrong inside my system.

I think Corsair Link is also monitoring the GPU and in that case I think it uses the same AMD-provided functions.
Does it leak also if you disable Crossfire ? If not, then I believe this is a sufficient proof that the problem is in AMD's libraries.

Martin said:
I think Corsair Link is also monitoring the GPU and in that case I think it uses the same AMD-provided functions.
Does it leak also if you disable Crossfire ? If not, then I believe this is a sufficient proof that the problem is in AMD's libraries.

Disabled Crossfire.
Corsair Link stopped leaking.

:-/

btw, I updated windows to Fall Creators Update RS3. HWiNFO is working fine, except for that leaking.

Thanks, this must be a sufficient proof that the problem is indeed in AMD's libraries. I have told this to AMD, let's see if they can find and fix the problem.

Installed 17.11.1
Now it leaks more than before, about +1000KB each refresh.
But Afterburner is leaking as before. +200KB each refresh.

I swapped my graphics card.
Now HWiNFO, Afterburner and Corsair Link are all stopped leaking.

Before I swap my card, top one is Sapphire R9 390X Nitro and bottom one is Sapphire R9 390X Tri-X.

I searched PCB layout of these two cards, seems no difference. Same VRM capacitors, regulators, and coils.
HWiNFO tells me Nitro version has more ASIC quality, but I don't think this will cause memory leak.

Not yet, but they have requested some more details how to reproduce it. I believe they are still working on it.

I'm using Sapphire R9 390X Nitro and Sapphire R9 390X Tri-X.

Several months ago, I was using Nitro for my primary graphics board. But when it boots, system only keeps few second and hangs, black screen, or red screen. I did 3 times wiping my SSD and clean install Windows10 but didn't work. Then I put Tri-X to primary, now system no longer hangs. I thought this Nitro was broken so I send back to manufacture. They send a new Nitro for me, but it still hangs when I use it for primary. So I put my Tri-X for primary but sometimes red screen happens when I playing games.

After Radeon software 16.6.2 released (they added Wattman), When I try to use MSI Afterburner, my system goes black screen and hangs.

I think that was around 17.7.2 or later, All problems I had before like can't use Nitro for my primary is gone. But MSI Afterburner was still not able to run. Then MSI Afterburner 4.4.0 released, and it is running with no problem, Oh hey... memory is leaking....
I thought this may help so I wrote this. I wish AMD can fix this problem. I'm planning to change to Vega 64.

Back