HWiNFO 7.20 crashes on an Abit BE6-II

FWIW CPU-Z 1.03 Legacy Editions also seems to "trigger" the SPD detection. After running it HWiNFO32 will display SPD information (with PCI Safe Search enabled).

No changes: with safe search it won't report SPD, without it, it will lock the PC.

Attachments

• HWiNFO32.4835.DBG
    17.4 KB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO32.4835.SafeScan.DBG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1
I've revisited the BE6 board recently and found some more information.

Does the "Safe scan of potentially problematic PCI devices" options use a list of known problematic PCI devices or will it "Safe scan" all PCI devices? Because I found, that this PC will always hang if I poke specific PCI registers on the PIIX4E Power Management Controller (8006 7113). I've made a simple batch file and tried to read with PCISET every register from 00 to FF and it would hang around the C6-CF registers. These are "reserved" according to the Intel datasheet and it looks like on the Abit board they "bomb" if touched.

Yes, that option uses such list and the PIIX4 is on it due to the issue you found now as well. Actually I found in the past that accessing registers C4-C8 can trigger it.
Does it mean that enabling this option in HWiNFO solves the problem?

Yes, that option uses such list and the PIIX4 is on it due to the issue you found now as well. Actually I found in the past that accessing registers C4-C8 can trigger it.
Does it mean that enabling this option in HWiNFO solves the problem?
Yes, it works, just checked it with HWiNFO32 7.60. Just wanted to confirm it's a known chipset problem and not a faulty motherboard. I was confused, because my other 440BX motherboard, the ASUS P2B, worked always without problems, I could poke around the same registers, and it wouldn't care.

Back