HWINFO explorer

mididoc

hi Martin,

just a feedback:

most important informations are given in the summary and sensor pages.
for me the hwinfo explorer is quite pretty poor,
as it does not deliver complete information.
in fact this is less information than the normal standard windows devices info in the system.

if a special program like hwinfo delivers less infos than the windows system,
it should either get the infos from the windows system or it should not display them.

:exclamation:

I'm sorry, but I probably missed your point. You can't be serious that the amount of information about hardware presented in the main window is less than what Windows Device Manager presents.
In many reviews about HWiNFO the result was that HWiNFO displays more information than a user can adsorb/understand.

there are standard windows infos not available.
you present an device manager without all informations.
the windows informations are just incomplete.

it does not matter if you offer other informations, too.
if you offer the device manager infos, this must be complete.

what is with audio devices?
what is with usb?

nobody says, that the device manager must be displayed in hwinfo.
but when you choose to display it,
the infos must be 100% complete and true.

otherwise you mix high quality infos, like summary and sensors,
together with bad quality infos, say device manager.

Your feeling that I'm attempting to offer a Device Manager-like information is wrong.
HWiNFO (as the name says) is used to give information about hardware and its features (not software and virtual devices).
Whenever possible, HWiNFO reads the information straight from hardware and not Windows (there are only few exceptions).

Martin said:
Your feeling that I'm attempting to offer a Device Manager-like information is wrong.
HWiNFO (as the name says) is used to give information about hardware and its features (not software and virtual devices).
Whenever possible, HWiNFO reads the information straight from hardware and not Windows (there are only few exceptions).

then don't give the "windows device manager" not like this.
or link directly to the windows device manager.

for me it's not the quantity, which counts.
the user might get puzzled between useful and useless infos.
you value your program down with these quantity, useless info.

i mean, you know i like your program,
otherwise i would not invest so much time in improving it.

:cool:

Martin said:

I'm glad that your intent is simply to not provide information that exists elsewhere, there are to many programs available that do that now. What is the point of duplication?

IMO, HWiNFO has shown me information I have never seen or had access to with anything else. For example, I can see that my mother board and it's UEFI do not limit my CPU's Power Limits 1 and 2, they are Unlimited, which is not what Intel wants them to be, but that's a good thing for OCing. The Programmable Ratio (multiplier) and TDC/TDP Limits are supported but disabled. Where can you see this in Windows?

I've learned that only one mother board I have can boot from a PCI Card, and when I tried it, it worked on that board, but not on another that said it was not supported. Try and get that information from the board manufacture's support staff.

I was even able to see the serial number of a USB flash drive connected to the PC in a few clicks! I didn't know they even existed.

Another one of my favorites, the Marvell 91xx so-called "SATA 6Gb/s" interface, that runs on one PCI-E lane, whose actual speed is 5Gb/s, is displayed in all it's glory, confirming the big lie that it provides SATA III performance... no it doesn't.

To say that HWiNFO shows less information than Windows Device Manager is simply an insult which should not be taken seriously. Device Manger is a joke compared to this.

So I like what I see here, and don't miss what I don't see.

Back