HWiNFO HDD SMART 09 parameter calculation bug

forteller

Hi,
Recently I updated HWiNFO from version released around 2013 to newest I found on website (4.60-2460). I noticed, that now disks not only display for how many hours they have been running (09 SMART parameter), but also days/years are calculated. That's nice feature, but I think I found a bug in how it is calculated for older drives.
I have three ST2000DM001 drives in my PC connected in RAID5. Two of them are younger and have worked for ~170 days (and that's correct), but one is older and has 15k hours of run-time. But how can 15000 hours translate into 41 years? :) I'm using Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen3 motherboard with modified BIOS for added RST 13.2 (support for TRIM in RAID0), but I don't think that is an issue.
I observe the same issue in HWiNFO32 and HWiNFO64. I'll provide more info if that's necessary.
Screenshot:
[attachment=1291]

Attachments

• smart.PNG
    smart.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for your report.
This is because some drives don't seem to report the amount of power on hours there but other units instead.
So HWiNFO didn't properly estimate the units there. I'll try to fix this by not breaking compatibility with other drives.

But as far as I can tell, Seagate ST2000DM001 reports hours correctly. 150000 hours is correct value, as I have this drive since 2013 running almost 24/7/365. Also, two younger ST2000DM001's didn't reached one year of run-time, and it displays properly: 168,8 days for 4026 hours of run-time.

I don't want to sound rude or something, but I think that years calculation is somehow broken. Here is screenshot for one of younger drives:
[attachment=1292]

And here for older one:
[attachment=1293]

And here is screenshot from another PC with even older Seagate drive (on a side note, I expected them to fail sooner as... you know. It's Seagate :D ) - ST3500418AS on Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3 motherboard in IDE mode.
[attachment=1294]

As you can see, HD Tune is able to report age in days properly.

Attachments

• smart3.PNG
    smart3.PNG
    144.7 KB · Views: 4
  • smart2.PNG
    smart2.PNG
    146.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 3
Yes, there is a bug in the estimation and I have confirmed that ;)
It will be fixed in the next build.

Thank you very much. I am happy that I could prove useful in HWiNFO development :) also, I updated previous post with screenshot from another PC.

HDD Seagate ST2000DM001 not designed for operation 7/24 (day and night), and all drives series Desktop (Barracuda). Their nominal mode 5/8 - 8 hours of 5 days a week. And if your drive is in Power-on Time Count (Power-On Hours) exhibited a signal exceeding the MTBF it is determined by its firmware, and if you want to ensure the reliability of its work, then you should put eg Seagate Constellation ES.2 ST32000645NS who just designed for operation in 7/24.

VictorVG said:
HDD Seagate ST2000DM001 not designed for operation 7/24 (day and night), and all drives series Desktop (Barracuda). Their nominal mode 5/8 - 8 hours of 5 days a week. And if your drive is in Power-on Time Count (Power-On Hours) exhibited a signal exceeding the MTBF it is determined by its firmware, and if you want to ensure the reliability of its work, then you should put eg Seagate Constellation ES.2 ST32000645NS who just designed for operation in 7/24.
I know it's been under load heavier than it supposed to be, but I didn't know it will be used this way by the time I was buying those drives. They will die anyway eventually, so I am prepared for that and that's why they are in RAID array.

I just wanted to report, that in current build everything is correct with year calculation, but instead of parameter name, the name of drive is displayed. It occurs in every version available on website (HWINFO32&64 + beta builds). See in screenshots:
[attachment=1409]
[attachment=1410]

Attachments

• hwinfo.PNG
    hwinfo.PNG
    148 KB · Views: 6
  • hwinfobeta.PNG
    hwinfobeta.PNG
    134 KB · Views: 4
forteller said:
I just wanted to report, that in current build everything is correct with year calculation, but instead of parameter name, the name of drive is displayed. It occurs in every version available on website (HWINFO32&64 + beta builds). See in screenshots:

Thanks for the feedback, it's my fault. I'll fix that in the next build.

Back