HWiNFO lock-up when physical memory is full

Spekkie

Hi,

I couldn't find any issue regarding this, but HWiNFO presents sensor update issues as soon as my RAM (physical memory) is full...
I first encountered this issue quite some time ago when running Linx or OCCT, with max memory. At first I always thought it was a compatibility issue or lack free cpu cycles that caused HWiNFO to be merely unresponsive. (sensors wouldn't update and trying to minimize HWiNFO results in a flickering HWiNFO screen)
Yet I recently pushed Matlab over the 16GB RAM (don't ask) while the cpu load never exceeded 13% (which is normal for a single threaded application like Matlab) and experienced the same issues like with Linx or OCCT, so my guess is that the problems are the result of the lack of free RAM.

Is there any possibility to address this issue?
I realize it's not a common issue since few people rum out of RAM these  days, but in my case when trying to properly stress-test my system with Linx after an OC, HWiNFO becomes pretty useless to check if all temps are still in normal range...

Kind regards,
Marien

Edit:
I attached a debug log trying to reproduce the problem... It's not as bad as it used to be, but the sensor updates are still a bit "laggy"...

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.zip
    190.7 KB · Views: 3
I will try to look at this, but need more information:
1. What exactly does happen to HWiNFO in such situation - does it hang, crash ?
2. If HWiNFO looks frozen, does it recover once you terminate the RAM-eating test ?
3. What steps are required to reproduce this ?
4. If HWiNFO crashes, it might be useful to provide a Debug File.

Martin said:
I will try to look at this, but need more information:
1. What exactly does happen to HWiNFO in such situation - does it hang, crash ?
2. If HWiNFO looks frozen, does it recover once you terminate the RAM-eating test ?
3. What steps are required to reproduce this ?
4. If HWiNFO crashes, it might be useful to provide a Debug File.
Hi, I attached a debug file in my previous post with a little update.
To answer your questions above:
1. HWiNFO appears to "hang" not updating at all or very slow and unresponsive to minimizing or closing buttons. No crash.
2. It does recover perfectly after the RAM-eating app is closed.
3. Well that's a bit of a problem... I encountered this again last week with matlab and tried again today with Linx. The problem still persists but not as bad as it was last week or before that. The sensor refreshes are still "lagging" in the sense that they are irregular and take >1 sec even though the refresh rate is set to 500 msec. However minimizing/closing was working as it should without any issues.
4. See my updated previous post...
I'm checking matlab again as we speak and will try occt after that, since occt is the most easy to reproduce.
Edit:
The "laggyness" still persists, only with Linx or OCCT, but that's due to the 100% cpu load... Testing Linx and OCCT with less ram yields the same results.
Other then that, I can't seem to reproduce it anymore.
I guess it was just a ghost issue ;)

Well, I think this is a system issue rather than HWiNFO. When the system is under high CPU or memory load, HWiNFO doesn't get enough resources to work. For example its own memory buffers (to keep sensor values) might be swapped out to the disk.
I believe that the memory footprint of HWiNFO and system load is very low, even when comparing with other similar tools.
You might try to:
- Raise HWiNFO's priority, which you can do via Task Manager. Change the Base Priority to High for example. Will this help?
- Disable some sensors. In your case I'd suggest the disk (S.M.A.R.T.), GPU VRM (GPU I2C) or Aquaero, since these can contribute to a higher system load.

Martin said:
Well, I think this is a system issue rather than HWiNFO. When the system is under high CPU or memory load, HWiNFO doesn't get enough resources to work. For example its own memory buffers (to keep sensor values) might be swapped out to the disk.
I believe that the memory footprint of HWiNFO and system load is very low, even when comparing with other similar tools.
You might try to:
- Raise HWiNFO's priority, which you can do via Task Manager. Change the Base Priority to High for example. Will this help?
- Disable some sensors. In your case I'd suggest the disk (S.M.A.R.T.), GPU VRM (GPU I2C) or Aquaero, since these can contribute to a higher system load.

My thoughts as well about it being a resource issue, but resulted in some very strange behavior not to long ago. The major issues are gone and I'll start fideling with the settings...
Totally forgot about the priority settings in task manager :s , thanks.
Consider this issue as solved, if I encounter any weird problems I'll report back.

Thanks again for your time and help :)

Back