HWiNFO32 and HWiNFO64 v4.49-2355 Beta released

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
HWiNFO32/64 v4.49-2355 Beta available.

Changes:
  • Added possibility to backup application- and user-specific settings.
  • Added option to minimize sensors window instead of closing.
  • Improved rendering of tray icons.

Hi Martin,

This much is good but it doesn't go far enough on a very old bug-a-boo that I have never understood, why you approach things this way???
When I open "Show All" in the tray icon and then "Close" that window On The Window, everything closes and QUITS???? :( 
I sure wish that, that would not happen. In my opinion, the app should only close and quit from the System Tray Icon, only. :)  Sometimes I just want to check something quickly in the Main Window not quit the whole app.

Just say'in, :D 

Best Regards,

Crysta

And this is exactly why I have introduced the new "Minimize Sensors instead of closing" option in that Beta.. Isn't it working for you properly ?
Maybe I haven't understood properly the procedure you performed?

Martin,

The Sensor Window minimization is working fine, as far as I can tell. I am talking about what I call the "Main Window", that comes up with "Show All". It has all of the extreme details in it.

It might help to realize, I have the "Sensor Window" open all of the time along the right side of the screen. I showed you this in a screen shot when I first went to W 8. This replaces the Gadget for me. Filename= 2013.09.18 Desktop Layout, See HWiNFO64 Sensor Status.PNG
HWiNFO on My GDrive

Crysta

So you mean the main window with the tree on the left side and you click the red X in the top right corner ?
Yes, that closes it all, since I treat that as the main application window, so when someone closes that, all other should as well. Is that a big problem for you?

Hi Martin,

just some request from me :D :
1. Minimize Button on Main Windows should minimized all to tray icon
2. After clicking Show All on tray, all windows show, but if I close Summary Window, then minimize Sensor Window then back    clicking Show All on tray the Summary Window not show at all.

Martin said:
So you mean the main window with the tree on the left side and you click the red X in the top right corner ?

Yup! You have it Martin! :D
I treat that as my Extreme (but secondary window) Detail Window. My main control IS NOT on the windows at all, but is in the System Tray, like all the other varied Apps in my system tray. Like with all "windows", I just want to close THAT window. Therefore, I would like the windows to be independent.

Martin said:
Yes, that closes it all, since I treat that as the main application window, so when someone closes that, all other should as well. Is that a big problem for you?

Martin, I do not know what is best for underpowered or small screened desktops/laptops??? All I know, is what I do on my Sandy Bridge/27 inch HD screen desktop. HWiNFO is a scheduled start and runs in conjunction with "System Explorer" & "Networx" at all times, giving me a complete picture of my machine immediately at a glance, if I want to see what is going on. I do not use the "Main Window" often(hardly at all, the Summary is used more often) but when I do it is EXTREMELY annoying for me, when everything closes.

I will let you decide how big a problem it is, all things considered, OKAY. :D

Crysta

PS. Be also advised, I don't use your "Checked" Schedule switch, I use my own schedules, one for "Production" and one for "Beta". This makes it easy to switch back and forth by using the "Disable/Enable" since I will switch with you in a few hours to a couple of days upon your release.

OK, so what about such a change:
1. Minimize button in the main window will minimize the main window only into tray.
2. When "Minimize Sensors instead of closing" option is enabled, then hitting the close (red X) in the main window will minimize the main window (only) into tray.

Martin said:
OK, so what about such a change:
1. Minimize button in the main window will minimize the main window only into tray.
2. When "Minimize Sensors instead of closing" option is enabled, then hitting the close (red X) in the main window will minimize the main window (only) into tray.

1. If clicking Show All on tray, the easiest way to minimize all tp tray is through minimizing Main Window
2. Clicking Close button of Main Windows terminated HWinFO

1. You can use minimize in sensors to minimize all.
2. That will still close all if "Minimize Sensors instead of closing" option is disabled.

Martin,

I am sorry now that I said anything. :( 
This can spiral out of control easily.

All I can say is, stick to a standard that many seem to be using for the last 3 years, Windows 7 and newer time frame. I have no fewer than 17 apps running in the "System Tray" along with yours, none of which appear on the Task Bar(left side) except for yours and Opera 12.17, when they have a constantly open window on screen, like the Sensor(and/or Summary) window. Some that have a temporarily open window or 2 then, they MAY put an icon on the Task Bar or not. ALL of them, never, never close the App by closing any Window, ONLY the window is closed. The Apps' are closed in the "System Tray" only. Most people don't like icons in both sides, right and left, at the same time and neither do I. I prefer minimal use of the Task Bar and rarely "Pin" anything there.

As you already know, I will be using your app anyway, but would appreciate a similar standard(action like the other monitoring apps) on my screen. The last thing either of us needs, is chasing around a can of worms. I am sure you will find they way that will work for you and HWiFNO. 

Thanks for entertaining my input, :D

Crysta

Crysta, it's no problem with your suggestions and they are most welcome. I think my suggestions for the upcoming modifications should fulfill that, or am I still wrong ?
That's also the reason for the new switch. There many users and everyone has different preferences how to use HWiNFO, so I need to make a lot of things configurable rather than sticking with a single approach.

Martin said:
Crysta, it's no problem with your suggestions and they are most welcome. I think my suggestions for the upcoming modifications should fulfill that, or am I still wrong?
Thanks for your support, Martin. I am not sure if we are on the page or not? I have described what I experience in my Tray the best I could yesterday. Now today my health took a real dive, so I am not thinking so well. Let's try this, Martin. Make the mods as you have assembled them and I will test them when you release or send me a preliminary Zip. Then I can report my experience back to you, OK? :p
Martin said:
That's also the reason for the new switch. There many users and everyone has different preferences how to use HWiNFO, so I need to make a lot of things configurable rather than sticking with a single approach.
Yes, usage has grown :up: :D That's good and I will try help you with your flexibility strivings as much as I can but that will also mean a need for a comprehensive set of defaults for the less savey user which is often problematic. :lol: :)
The "New Switch"? I am guessing you mean the Summary window minimization..... or is there another one I missed?

I am sure these new improvments will be as successful as the last Phase!!! :D :lol: I didn't realize we had started a new Phase. :)

Until I hear from you further, Martin,

Crysta

OK, I'll make the changes and you can test them in the next build ;)
No, the new switch is called "Minimize Sensors instead of closing" - this one will minimize the windows when you click the close button.

OKAY Martin,

I found your new switch. I thought you were talking about the minimize button on the window itself. I have mine checked now but I never use the red "X" button on the Summary window but the save and close button was always an annoyance as well, closing the the app.

I will try explaining again, MY view of System Tray analysis/maintaince "alway running" apps.

1. THE APPLICATION should NEVER be CLOSED by a CLOSE of any window.

2. The APPLICATION should ONLY be CLOSED by an "EXIT" in a System Tray Menu.

This is the way all of the other apps of this type work including Microsofts', that I use. 
Examples: I will offer a couple; Winpatrol, EMET, Networx, System Explorer as well as GDrive Apps.

That is as clear as I know how to make it, Martin, but how well this will fold into where you are at or what you have in the app functionality, I don't know. It appears though that this seems to be a standard now days as I stated earlier.

Best Regards,

Crysta

Back