hwinfo64 crashes pc

KuroiKenshi11

recently built a new pc, specs are
ryzen 5 3600
msi b450m pro vdh max
2x8 gigs of 3000mhz ram aegis
asus rx 5500 xt 4gb variant
500watt powerspec psu
all stock settings aside from ram, turned on xmp. running windows 10 home.

after playing a game and some web browsing, i opened up hwinfo64 to see temps and i was able to get to the choosing which mode u want to start in. i chose sensor only mode and aftr a little bit my whole system crashed and rebooted. i didnt make it to the sensor screen. aftr tht i looked at event viewer and saw that there was an error:
event 18 WHEA-logger
a fatal hardware error has occurred.

reported by component: processor core
error source: machine check exception
error type: cache hierarchy error
processor APIC ID: 12

after i booted back into windows, i opened up hwinfo64 again to see if it would crash again but it didnt. i ran cinebench r20 and firestrike (basic edition) to see if it was bc of overheating issues but they ran without problems.
i uninstalled hwinfo64 thinking that it was the problem but now that i think about the event viewer log, im not so sure. id like any advice or thoughts, thank you in advance. i didnt include a debug or report file bc i dont know if itll still show the problem or whatever since i uninstalled hwinfo64 with the control panel.

not sure if important but i have ryzen master installed and various other gaming apps like steam and epic games with some games installed. i think my system crash has something to do with the sensors from hwinfo but not sure. again, thank you in advance.

Edit: i dont have any asmedia sata or usb drivers, all of them are from microsoft.

Update: i installed hwinfo64 again to try and recreate the crash. played code vein for about the same amount of time and did some web browsing afterwards (watched youtube, scrolled through facebook, and read some manga). started up hwinfo64 again but it didn't crash. maybe just some freak accident? would still like some thoughts and/or opinions though, thank you.

Last edited:
This is very difficult to tell for sure without seeing at least the HWiNFO Debug File of the crash.
It might have been caused by some other issue in the system that was triggered when HWiNFO tried to access the hardware.
Or it might also be some crash between HWiNFO and Ryzen Master. Though this has not been observed, it's not recommended to run multiple such tools at once.

This is very difficult to tell for sure without seeing at least the HWiNFO Debug File of the crash.
It might have been caused by some other issue in the system that was triggered when HWiNFO tried to access the hardware.
Or it might also be some crash between HWiNFO and Ryzen Master. Though this has not been observed, it's not recommended to run multiple such tools at once.

thank you for the reply Martin, if I debugged now with hwinfo, even when i uninstalled it once and reinstalled it, would it show the reason why?
and I didnt have ryzen master and hwinfo running at the same time unless you mean its not recommended to have both of them installed.

Well, you'd have to be running HWiNFO in Debug Mode and after the crash provide the DBG file produced for analysis.
But it's not guaranteed that it will provide enough information why it happened. Such problems are quite difficult to trace, the more when they are not easily reproduced.

Well, you'd have to be running HWiNFO in Debug Mode and after the crash provide the DBG file produced for analysis.
But it's not guaranteed that it will provide enough information why it happened. Such problems are quite difficult to trace, the more when they are not easily reproduced.

Alright thanks Martin, I'm hoping it was just some freak accident haha. aside from that one crash though everything has been running fine. I'll keep you updated if anything like that happens again. Thanks for the quick replies, really appreciate it.

Back