HWINFO64 v8 not launching on Windows 7 SP1.

ultra_code

Went ahead and tried installing and running the latest version of HWINFO64 on my Windows 7 SP1 AM2+ test bench (Asus M4A79 Deluxe, rev1.02G, AMD Athlon 7850 Kuma), and I was greeted by this wonderful error attached. I can't provide report and debug files if I can't even launch the program. XD

Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• hwinfov8_error.PNG
    hwinfov8_error.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 5
Are all updates installed there? It looks as if the system wouldn't accept the file's digital signature (SHA256).

This image of Windows 7 SP1 has most updates slip-streamed into the ISO save for some Windows Defender updates and KB971033. It has the SHA-256 update included.

And I just learned something running HWINFO64 v8 in a VM - I got a similar error message, but once I connected to the Internet to try to install the updates I deemed non-essential, the error message went away, and I was able to launch the program. :/

Is there a new online phone-home requirement at least on first launch, or is the auto-updater locking-up the whole program trying to contact the update server?

Sorry, I don't know. Maybe it needed to download something? Now if you run again without Internet connection does it work?

That would mean Windows needed to download something to verify integrity of the file.

Windows has a mechanism of automatically updating root certificates and that is independent from Windows Update. If a program needs to verify digital signatures (which might be the case here) it needs to be able to build up a certificate chain, up to the Root CA if necessary. Windows 7 is old enough to be missing several newer Root CAs. Connecting the system to the internet can update these root certificates and help solve such issues; it's not a guarantee though.

Ah.... you know, I think Benchmate addresses this for WIndows 7 by making you manually install a certificate for Benchmate itself.

Perhaps a certificate can be bundled with v8 going forward and automatically installed on 7?

Back