IMPORTANT CHANGES TO HWiNFO64 COMING SOON

Hi, I purchased a personal licence as a thank you for all the years of good support, but if I can have 1 suggestion, you should absolutely make the fact that "You will retain the last version released in the maintenance period as a perpetual license." after the licence runs out prominently visible somewhere as I just finished a wall of text rant against licence renting and was just about to post it until I found this tidbit of info few posts above and promptly deleted my rant.

Maybe it's just me, but from a quick glance over the licenses page I ended up feeling it's a 1 year rent. I mean I see where it says what I wanted to see now, but I only skimmed the page previously. If I'm completely honest if a text starts to look too much like terms of service or similar legalese mumbo jumbo I just stop reading it :) Again, maybe just me, but I would expect this sentence alone straight under the table with the licence comparison.

Anyways my confusion has been sorted and all is well.

Unless I'm being hit unfairly hard by regional pricing, I think this is a pretty steep price for a single year personal license. $32.45AUD puts it at double the price of something like Aquasuite. This is considering that you're taking away some free features to add to the paid version, rather than adding a bunch of new paid features on top. I understand the immensity of the effort you've put into this software over the last ~22 years, and you definitely should be compensated for that. Unfortunately I can't afford to support you at the rate you're asking.

Unless I'm being hit unfairly hard by regional pricing, I think this is a pretty steep price for a single year personal license. $32.45AUD puts it at double the price of something like Aquasuite. This is considering that you're taking away some free features to add to the paid version, rather than adding a bunch of new paid features on top. I understand the immensity of the effort you've put into this software over the last ~22 years, and you definitely should be compensated for that. Unfortunately I can't afford to support you at the rate you're asking.

This is not comparing apples to apples. Aquasuite is a different kind of software - it requires their own hardware to work, yet you might need to pay on top of that for their software. Moreover it doesn't feature a hardware monitoring engine, instead pulls data from 3rd party software like HWiNFO. Question is why Aquasuite should be earning from making use of free software ?

This is not comparing apples to apples. Aquasuite is a different kind of software - it requires their own hardware to work, yet you might need to pay on top of that for their software. Moreover it doesn't feature a hardware monitoring engine, instead pulls data from 3rd party software like HWiNFO. Question is why Aquasuite should be earning from making use of free software ?
Aquasuite has featured it's own hardware monitoring for a while now, though not as good as yours. I don't think aquasuite should be the one to pay for your software, we (the users) should. I just think it should be cheaper than what you're offering. I'd personally like to support you financially, I just can't afford to do so at your asking price.

This is awesome. The program was too good to be a freeware anyways. Right now I cannot purchase the pro version anyways but when I get some cash, i fully intend to support this project. Thanks developer(s) for the awesome work.

We have used HWiNFO for free for years and I'm sure donations alone would not keep it alive at the rate of updates and new features that have been implemented.

This shift in licensing it’s not for the developer to get rich, rather to keep one of the most used monitoring software alive and to date

Frankly, I use HWiNFO for nothing more than monitor CPU's and GPUs temps, I don’t even share the memory between other apps, I use aquasuite service to control the curves of fans and pumps, but HWiNFO has grew on me enough and the tray icons are so clear and helpful that now I can't see myself not using it.

I will be purchasing Pro by the end of today or tomorrow purely to support the development, it’s the least we can do to show our appreciation.
Untitled.png

As the author of PromDapter I'd like to drop my line about this change.

I support the stance taken here - as a whole, including the pricing. I don't have strong opinion on pricing, its not my business - but the magnitude seems to be on level field for alike tools.

I understand (and can hereby confirm) that people using PromDapter will require Pro-version to keep it functioning - but of course the free version can be used to confirm that its working.

It will sure make my job easier as now I can open up all the source stack including the HWiNFO specific Shared Memory parts. It's been a pleasure to be able to provide additional value on top of HWiNFO and this makes the positioning even clearer now. When I needed the PromDapter for myself, I evaluated various alike tools. HWiNFO was second to none (by far) back then, and the Shared Memory was freely available, Martin being extremely helpful and prompt on any assistance I needed.

I'm a bit busy on other things right now, but if someone wants to have immediate access to PromDapter shared memory parts, don't hesitate to contact me. I have currently private NuGet build, that I will open up asap and can speed the process up, if someone wants it immediately.

The app does not even automaticly update and you want me to pay for a feature that been free all this time ?

The app does not even automaticly update and you want me to pay for a feature that been free all this time ?

No, I'm not asking you to pay anything. No one is forcing you to upgrade or if you're not satisfied, don't use it.
And no one is asking you to work for free either.

Regarding automatic updates - this feature is planned, but it will result in a substantial increase in traffic on the server. Maybe you're not aware, but the server and bandwidth are not free and need to be paid by someone. So offering this feature would not be possible with the free model.
Some don't realize what other costs are involved in running such a project. Even this forum that you used to show your anger is not free (and it's a subscription-based service that requires payment every year to get updates).

Last edited:
You are forcing me to pay cos you limit shared memory option to 12 hours yes i can re enable it but do you really think i will do that ? its bassicly nagware click this option every 12 hours or pay up, this is not oke i do not mind paying for software but this option has been for free for a long time now you ask us to pay.
Not mention if i pay how long will it get updated and do i have to pay yearly cos no way i am paying yearly.

Just got notification about time limit exceeded. I've only used shared memory for RTSS and it stopped working.

Are you sure you're using the RTSS configuration setup in HWiNFO to export data into RTSS and not the MSI Afterburner plugin pulling data from HWiNFO? Did the RTSS really stop to show data?
If you got the warning about Shared Memory time limit exceeded, it means this option was enabled and it's not required for the HWiNFO's own RTSS support.

Are you sure you're using the RTSS configuration setup in HWiNFO to export data into RTSS and not the MSI Afterburner plugin pulling data from HWiNFO? Did the RTSS really stop to show data?
If you got the warning about Shared Memory time limit exceeded, it means this option was enabled and it's not required for the HWiNFO's own RTSS support.
Ok, I thought RTSS was an exception on Shared Memory. It's indeed pulling data in the RTSS Overlay Editor tables. So I would need to redo the OSD from HWiNFO now or buy pro... or just downgrade to 6.42 that is essentially the same without these problems :rolleyes:.

Wow 25 dollars is a small fortune where I live., and that every year?
Oh well... Guess I will have to stay on the last free version then.

I'd suggest offering a discounted pricing model for multi-year licenses. For example, Argus Monitor offers a 3-year license for the price of two 1-year licenses.

I'd suggest offering a discounted pricing model for multi-year licenses. For example, Argus Monitor offers a 3-year license for the price of two 1-year licenses.
I think that is a good idea, pretty much any developer today have that option. So! if this is something Martin would consider I hope anyone who just made the purchase, would qualify for upgrade, unless this won’t be even consideration :D

Back