Incorrect version of PCIe 16x

Program report that chipset G41 support PCIe 16x v2.0.
Due G41 chipset specification and limitation, it support version 1.1 only (like G31)
It can cause that user with this report on mainboard and graphic card will be worried with performance result of your graphics.
GPU-Z report true interface version.

Attachments

• PCIe_error.png
    PCIe_error.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 43
  • GeForce_210.png
    GeForce_210.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 35
Please attach the HWiNFO Report File and Debug File, so I can analyze this issue in detail.

The chipset reports that it's compliant with the PCI Express specification v2.0, however the link speed is limited to Gen1 (2.5 Gb/s). You can verify this under particular PCI Express Root Port devices (in the PCI Bus subtree).

Martin said:
The chipset reports that it's compliant with the PCI Express specification v2.0, however the link speed is limited to Gen1 (2.5 Gb/s). You can verify this under particular PCI Express Root Port devices (in the PCI Bus subtree).

Chipset cannot report that PCIe interface is 2.0 because it's not true. Intel specification of G41 chipset reports that supports version 1.1 only (probably due effect integrated GMA X4500 graphics.)
PCIe 16x bus under any circumstances never works as 2.0, it's impossible. Therefore correct value is 1.1.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/g41-express-chipset.html

The G41 chipset reports compliance with v2.0 of the capability.
I'll check how to fix this, probably will base the version on max link speed.

Martin said:
The G41 chipset reports compliance with v2.0 of the capability.
I'll check how to fix this, probably will base the version on max link speed.

From the user's or hardware interface perspective is true value 1.1. Capability may be present, but inactive. It's equivalent to chip with broken pins. Chip is present, but working on half performance.

Maybe:
PCI Express working version supported: 1.1
PCI Express onboard chip version present: 2.0

But I don't know for what will be the second value.
But if you say, that chipset return this value, why not.

Note: If you see to List of Intel chipsets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets) especially Core 2 chipsets starting P31 - you see the version in last column, maybe this problem will be in more chipsets

I'll make a change in HWiNFO for reporting this. It will be available in the next Beta release.

Your Gigabyte motherboard is very similar to mine, but your model number is not listed on their website. The closest one is this: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2954#ov

What caught my attention is your 2xPCI Express x1 slots. Is your motherboard actually a branded model, i.e. HP, Dell, etc? That would explain the no listing & the 2xPCI-e x1 slots when almost all motherboards of that era have 1 x1 slot & 1 x16 slot.

I never noticed the discrepancy you pointed out until I compared it with my GA-G41M-ES2L: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3590&dl=1#ov

This is because the system reports 2 downstream PCI Express x1 ports with "Slot Implemented" flag set.
So that might be a BIOS issue, which either didn't disable this port, or improperly set the flag.

This motherboard has always acted strangely. Many times it performs one or more boot loops prior to POST. It completely powers off & then starts again 2,3,4 times. It will eventually beep & then POST. Tried 2 new PSU's & no change, CMOS battery & all the other tricks to no avail. No problems after POST is achieved.

Seems like some kind of BIOS issue.

Please check new beta release (build 1815) for fixed reporting of PCI Express version supported.

M/B MSI G41TM-P33 - Intel G41 Express + ICH7. HWiNFO32 4.09.1815 reported bus configuration as 2 x PCI and 1 x PCIe x16 v1.1:

b7f029d5fca7.png

this is real chipset configuration, but if You BIOS reported PCIe configuration as x16 PCIe v2.0 compliance, please, see hardware manual for You m/b for details.

The specifications of the chipset PCIe version is listed as 1.1, but the bandwidth x16 port is listed as 8 Gb/s and this causes ambiguity, because bus PCI/PCIe/PCI-X is not only the chip, but also required support PCI BIOS which tells us the version of the bus specification, which is embedded in the code programmers. That is how many old motherboards with chipset ALi/Intel/SiS/VIA "implemented" in the PCI v2.3 bus chipsets with PCI v2.1.;)

The word "compatible" does not mean "sold", but iG41 Express chipset - compatible with PCIe devices using bus PCIe x16 Gen 2.0, but full hardware support this version PCIe specification for PCIe x16 port only starting from B43/G43/P43/Q43 Express chipsets, but the GMA 4500/GMA HD 4500 integrated graphics uses bus PCIe x16 v1.1. "I ce Intel!";)

Back