Is There Any Security Risk with Not Keeping HWINFO Updated?

Dave1001

I've been using HWInfo64 a bit less over the past few months but I don't want to uninstall since I do still regularly open it and use it when playing more demanding games

however, this means I've had to open it up and update it every month even when not using it. is there any security risks with leaving HWInfo behind a few updates for a while?

I know updates add new features and all but is it a security risk to leave the application un-updated? my current version is the October 11th release, so it'd only be a month behind at the moment

would appreciate any insight

Not necessarily, it depends on system. For example, Microsoft is tightening security in Windows and HWiNFO sometimes has to implement changes to comply with new rules, especially for kernel protection.
So one of such updates was just released in v7.66 but this currently should affect only a small number of systems.

Not necessarily, it depends on system. For example, Microsoft is tightening security in Windows and HWiNFO sometimes has to implement changes to comply with new rules, especially for kernel protection. So one of such updates was just released in v7.66 but this currently should affect only a small number of systems.

sorry, I didn't get notified about the reply and it slipped my mind. I did just update to v7.66 but I had another security-related question, more so about the website

I don't run an adblocker, which is probably considered a bit foolish in this day and age, so obviously ads do show up on all sites. while rare, I know ads can execute malicious scripts without any user interaction, just by existing on the site

I doubt you can control what specific ads show up of course but how safe/secure is the download site in regard to these kinds of attacks, where ads can spread malware just by being on the page

when I'm on the download page, there's usually 1 or 2 ads in between one of the 3 download columns, an ad banner on the bottom and an ad on the left, and of course an ad that popups when downloading the software

like I said, I'm not really sure if you can actually control what ads appear on the site and all, so I doubt it's possible to say with 100% certainty, but would this be something to ever worry about? ads executing malicious javascript/code onto the site?

idk, I guess I just thought about this when seeing the ads and seeing a post on these forums asking if it was secure to jump from HWInfo64 to the update URL, because it would create an elevated process in the browser or something

granted that post was 10 years ago but it just got me thinking about how ads on websites can do that

That's right, we don't have full control over ads placed there nor we can review them all. We can block specific ads or providers (which we sometimes do) but only after those ads have been placed.
That's same for all publishers using Google ads - they are managed by Google, so it's Google's responsibility to check them. I believe they do so and at least verify them via the safe browsing list.

That's right, we don't have full control over ads placed there nor we can review them all. We can block specific ads or providers (which we sometimes do) but only after those ads have been placed.
That's same for all publishers using Google ads - they are managed by Google, so it's Google's responsibility to check them. I believe they do so and at least verify them via the safe browsing list.
I figured so. besides that, is there any real reason why I see the aforementioned ads on the download site on my phone and Windows 10 system, yet they don't appear on my Windows 11 system? something to do with the OS? just found that odd

just got standard Windows Defender w/ no adblock on anything

anyway, I know it's irrational, but malvertising makes me uneasy but if you don't have many details about the ads then I guess there's not too much you can say. probably why an adblocker would be good, although I don't think they fully prevent the code that malvertising ads contain

If you're from a country subjected to GDPR and you got a prompt for privacy settings that you rejected, then some or all ads might be blocked.
Displaying a malicious ad can't load the malware into your system. You'd have to click such a malicious link and then depending on your system/software might also need to install it.
There's also another option - if you would go for HWiNFO64 Pro then you won't need to visit the site anymore as it handles the updates automatically without need to go to the download page.

If you're from a country subjected to GDPR and you got a prompt for privacy settings that you rejected, then some or all ads might be blocked.
Displaying a malicious ad can't load the malware into your system. You'd have to click such a malicious link and then depending on your system/software might also need to install it.
There's also another option - if you would go for HWiNFO64 Pro then you won't need to visit the site anymore as it handles the updates automatically without need to go to the download page.
I'm in Australia; I checked with a different browser on the Windows 11 system and the ads are there. ig it's just Chrome, weirdly enough, even though Chrome is the browser I was observing these ads with on my Win10 system

and I am pretty sure that malvertising does allow the ad to potentially inject malicious code/problematic stuff simply by existing on the page without user interaction, although it's rarer I think. googling about malvertising gives surprisingly poor information

anyway, the main ads that would catch my attention are always at the bottom. bloatware and obvious scam/potential virus programs like WebCompanion by Adaware, and Driver Support BitDriver. both of which I'm certain have been reported to Google a lot

obviously I would never click on the ads but the idea of malvertising makes me wary sometimes. I've considered Pro in the past due to the ease of updating from the app itself

If one would use some other ad delivery services, "malvertising" could be an issue. But these ads are served via Google services where advertisers can't inject their code into the ad. The only potential danger lies in the target.

If one would use some other ad delivery services, "malvertising" could be an issue. But these ads are served via Google services where advertisers can't inject their code into the ad. The only potential danger lies in the target.
I read up further on malvertising on MalwareBytes because it felt like an umbrella term ; I was right. obviously there's the classic case of clicking an ad and being taken to a malicious website, but what I was referring to is a 'drive-by download'

I believe those are less common nowadays but maybe that adds a bit more context as to what I was saying. the drive by downloads are the ones that implant code into the ad to automatically infect you when you load the site, and aren't usually detectable because it can't distinguish between the legitimate and malicious code

anyway, I understand there's all those ads there because of smth to do with the app being freeware? at least that's what I saw from an older post on the forum. I just wanted to check if there was some reassurance on the threat level of drive-by download malvertising

Back