Just a quick question.

Alamandorious

Desktop Screenshot 2020.05.20 - 12.08.16.77.pngSorry if this has been asked before, but I'm curious. In the program, one of my hard drives has a little triangle with an exclamation point next to it...normally, that's a bad thing, so I'm curious if that holds true in this program as well.

You should check the drive's SMART attributes/values to see what's actually wrong - see Drives item in the tree. Note that interpreting these values is not necessarily simple, and it also depends on the manufacturer. Not all attributes have the same meaning for every vendor, and not all vendors use the same attributes.

Regards
Dalai

You should check the drive's SMART attributes/values to see what's actually wrong - see Drives item in the tree. Note that interpreting these values is not necessarily simple, and it also depends on the manufacturer. Not all attributes have the same meaning for every vendor, and not all vendors use the same attributes.

Regards
Dalai

Thank you for your reply. I went and looked at that particular area, and the problem seems to be with the 'reallocated sector count'. Now, this IS an older hard drive...so do you know if that could be a sign of oncoming hardware failure, or is it just that the older drives were a bit less advanced in that area and that's why the program is flagging it?

This reflects the actual state of the drive and means there are some 'bad' sectors appearing, which were relocated from the reserved area.
How serious this is depends on the amount of such sectors and whether the amount grows over time. If yes, I'd start to get worried, perform backups and think about drive replacement.

Back