IntroductionI've been using HWiNFO together with Rainmeter and Modern Gadgets for a few years. As Modern Gadgets is no longer being maintained and Martin kindly opened the documentation for the shared memory interface, I started thinking about developing my own version of a system monitor. This is what i came up with. Initial development started at the end of August 2022 and finished at the end of January 2023. As coding is purely a hobby for me, this took a rather large amount of my spare time. It was a lot of fun though.
Just as a sidenote: You may or may know my other tool NetMeter which has been around since 2002 or 2003 (not sure anymore)
- Clock (works without HWiNFO)
- Network (works without HWiNFO)
- All windows can be resized freely while contained elements will scale automatically
- No initial configuration necessary
- All colors are customizable
- All gadgets except the clock can be extended (at the bottom) with additional sensor information from HWiNFO
- Shared memory support needs to be enabled in HWiNFO
- As I wanted to keep initial configuration effort at a minimum for the user, certain things are hard coded. For example: Core and thread numbers are read from the sensor description strings. This of course results in less flexibility than you would have in Rainmeter.
- One goal was to keep the gadgets as symmetrical as possible. Also I like grids and gradients, so there's a lot of grids and gradients...
- I've obsessed way to long over the colors.