Latest version of NZXT cam has broken the reporting of fan, pump speed & water temps from the USB in HWiNFO

sgtsixpack

The values are reported in CAM itself but HWiNFO has dropped monitoring them on the sensors panel. The pump speed is read via 2nd motherboard fan header, but fan speed and h20 temp are only reported via usb so are completely missing from HWiNFO.

I sent a bug report to CAM and this is how they responded:

"
Anthony Vega (CAM by NZXT)

Apr 10, 1:58 PM PDT

Hi there,

Our products are not designed to specifically work for HWiNFO which may be why it isn't being detected in that program.

As far as the CAM settings being reset that may have been an issue with that I believe there may have been a fix yesterday that fixed the issue with the settings being reset.

CAM by NZXT
camwebapp.com
"
The second part of his reply contains next level PR spin. How can an update that wiped my custom profiles in lighting and cooling be the same update which fixes it? To top it off they just asked me to rate their customer service.

Last edited:

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
It's possible that a new firmware version for the cooler (supplied in latest CAM) has changed the communication format.
Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File with sensor data, I will analyze it.

sgtsixpack

Yes I did update the firmware of my NZXT X72 Kraken a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realise a CAM update could update the firmware. I attach the required files. Is it safe to upload my report file including serial numbers? I edited some of the serial numbers which are still RMAable.

Attachments

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
The problem here seems to be the presence of CAM software. Later versions block access to this device and don't allow other software to use it while CAM is running.
Try to close it and you should get the values in HWiNFO.
Unfortunately there's no workaround for this as NZXT refuses to play fair.

sgtsixpack

Got rid of CAM after that update.
-Need to put liquidctl.exe in the system "path"
-Can put filename.bat with below commands into startup folder (or using a scheduled task but its harder to enable it vs windows 7, so I stuck with startup folder).

My batch file:
@echo
liquidctl --version
liquidctl initialize all
liquidctl -m Kraken set fan speed 24 55 25 60 26 66 27 83 28 100
liquidctl -m Kraken set pump speed 24 60 25 75 26 90 27 100 28 100
liquidctl -m Kraken set ring color fading FF2608 0B03FF F35B10 --speed faster
liquidctl -m Kraken set logo color fading F35B10 0B03FF FF2608 --speed fastest
liquidctl status
TIMEOUT 30