Memory leak?

Jayson Hans Bourne

Hi Martin

I do not need you to fix anything for me at this point, since I am not planning to use HWiNFO at this time. I just installed it to test something.

I did however notice something. I included here a screenshot with some explanations. That is all I can do for now. If it only serves to frustrate you I apologize.

Kind Regards

Jayson

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).jpg
    Screenshot (8).jpg
    481 KB · Views: 13
Are your GPUs in CrossFire perhaps ? If yes, can you try to disable CrossFire and see if the memory leak is still there ?

Martin said:
Are your GPUs in CrossFire perhaps ? If yes, can you try to disable CrossFire and see if the memory leak is still there ?

I tried to disable CrossFire once and it (AMD Settings App) simply disappeared from the screen. When I restarted it CrossFire was still enabled. Now I just leave it be. Anyways, CrossFire is what I want.

PS: You still need to look at that Seagate Ironwolf NAS HDD problem your software has. I still have to disable HDD monitoring to avoid the constant clicking noises.

HWiNFO is uninstalled for now, so I won't be of much help in either case above, sorry. Later when I reinstall it I will take these issues up with you again.

Kind Regards

Jayson

Martin said:
OK, but the test with disabling Crossfire would tell if this is an already known problem in AMD drivers: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-High-memory-usage
MSI Afterburner monitoring should be affected by this problem too.

That was indeed a very interesting read. That person had a lot more patients than me. Thanks for the link.

I cannot help you to confirm. When I disable CrossFire (did it just now again) the 'AMD Settings' app minimizes and simply disappears. Icon in the tray also after a while. When I restart the app CrossFire is still enabled. [Gaming - Global Settings - AMD CrossFire]

I can add to that article the following:
'MSI Afterburner' leeks memory faster when I display stuff in the tray or play old full-screen games.
'HWiNFO' seems to always leek memory.

This is really sad, because 'MSI Afterburner' is about the only app that runs those GPU fans nicely. The Gigabyte app all have lots of problems. At least now you elucidated the real problem. Thanks for that.

EDIT: Some stuff happened since I wrote the above so I will report them here:
  • I decided to do the optional AMD update to v17.12.2 that has been nagging me and after it restarted it reported v17.12.1 (I can swear that's wrong).
  • Switched off CrossFire (took forever/screens went black) and it seemed like no memory leeks were present. 'MSI Afterburner' was running, but not monitoring anything.
  • Switched Crossfire on again and hard reset the computer after 3 minutes of black screen. AMD now reports Crossfire is on.
  • 'MSI Afterburner' MEM usage slowly goes up and down between 5MB and 10MB with 0% CPU usage whilst monitoring the usual stuff and reporting to the tray.
  • 'HWiNFO' uses 17% CPU and never displays its tray icon. I have to manually close it in 'TaskMan'.
Kind Regards

Jayson

Thanks, so that seems to somehow confirm the known problem. I will submit your configuration to AMD so they can try to reproduce it.

I have tried to reproduce the problem with higher CPU usage due to tray icons and even with 10 icons, both HWiNFO and explorer consume only about 0.5% CPU time.
Do you recall if HWiNFO was showing higher CPU usage (explorer) when using tray icons also with Crossfire disabled ?

BTW, I'm not aware of Radeon Software v17.12.2 released yet.

Jayson Hans Bourne said:
Martin said:
OK, but the test with disabling Crossfire would tell if this is an already known problem in AMD drivers: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-High-memory-usage
MSI Afterburner monitoring should be affected by this problem too.

That was indeed a very interesting read. That person had a lot more patients than me. Thanks for the link.

I cannot help you to confirm. When I disable CrossFire (did it just now again) the 'AMD Settings' app minimizes and simply disappears. Icon in the tray also after a while. When I restart the app CrossFire is still enabled. [Gaming - Global Settings - AMD CrossFire]

I can add to that article the following:
'MSI Afterburner' leeks memory faster when I display stuff in the tray or play old full-screen games.
'HWiNFO' seems to always leek memory.

This is really sad, because 'MSI Afterburner' is about the only app that runs those GPU fans nicely. The Gigabyte app all have lots of problems. At least now you elucidated the real problem. Thanks for that.

EDIT: Some stuff happened since I wrote the above so I will report them here:
  • I decided to do the optional AMD update to v17.12.2 that has been nagging me and after it restarted it reported v17.12.1 (I can swear that's wrong).
  • Switched off CrossFire (took forever/screens went black) and it seemed like no memory leeks were present. 'MSI Afterburner' was running, but not monitoring anything.
  • Switched Crossfire on again and hard reset the computer after 3 minutes of black screen. AMD now reports Crossfire is on.
  • 'MSI Afterburner' MEM usage slowly goes up and down between 5MB and 10MB with 0% CPU usage whilst monitoring the usual stuff and reporting to the tray.
  • 'HWiNFO' uses 17% CPU and never displays its tray icon. I have to manually close it in 'TaskMan'.
Kind Regards

Jayson

All these problems happened to me too.
Keep reset and reboot will make you back to system.
Wish they could fix this problem as soon as possible...

Hi

Well... At the moment I am just happy that 'MSI Afterburner' is working as it should. No graphics card should be 50 degrees and then both fans are still off, because the manufacturer decided that's just fine. When I woke up 'MSI Afterburner' was using 8.1MB MEM & 0.2% CPU whilst reporting to the tray. Explorer seems happy at a general 0.6% CPU (a bit high). I still have to play some old games to test that.

'HWiNFO' however is another story. There is a lot of screen flickering and artifacts when it starts (a lot more than it had before the AMD update). Eventually after about three minutes of the CPU usage at 14% it does show me the tray icon and seem to be running fine at 0.5% CPU, but the MEM issue still exists.

Funny thing is I had all its sensors disabled and only a select few individual sensors on like: CPU Usage, CPU Fan Speed, GPU Usage, GPU Diode Temp, GPU Fan Speed. What I mean is all headings was first disabled then I switched on a few under some headings, so no Voltage/S.M.A.R.T. etc. were monitored at all. I was literally only monitoring about ten individual sensor readings. I also had all the tray stuff off before I did the AMD update. It was at the time running fine apart from the MEM issue. It seems to have an adverse reaction to v17.12.1 for some odd reason.

I will restart now and try to do that thing you always ask for first.

EDIT: Here is a link to the file:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgP-V8BbLil5jFbcbOPl38FX11SU
PS: I will probably not do this for you again unless you allow us to upload more than 500KB when it is a .DBG file. Using OneDrive for this is too terrible.

Kind Regards

Jayson

Back