Memory leak?

vttoth

I'm running hwinfo32.exe 3.67 on Win7 Ultimate, 64-bit. It generally works well, but I noticed in the task manager that its memory footprint goes up 4K every few seconds. On at least one occasion, hwinfo32.exe crashed after running for a few days; this was before I discovered that a memory leak exists, but I suspect it just exhausted its 32-bit address space. On another occasion, I restarted it when its memory use was already over a GB.

Sorry to complain about a bug in what is otherwise a beautiful and very useful tool! Let me know if any system-specific information is required.

In case you are you have the Sensors active, then by default all scanned values are kept in memory in case the user wants to save them into a Report file later. To solve this, please open the Configure screen in Sensors and disable the "Log all values for Report (consumes memory)" option and let me know if that helped.

vttoth said:
I'm running hwinfo32.exe 3.67 on Win7 Ultimate, 64-bit. It generally works well, but I noticed in the task manager that its memory footprint goes up 4K every few seconds. On at least one occasion, hwinfo32.exe crashed after running for a few days; this was before I discovered that a memory leak exists, but I suspect it just exhausted its 32-bit address space. On another occasion, I restarted it when its memory use was already over a GB.

Sorry to complain about a bug in what is otherwise a beautiful and very useful tool! Let me know if any system-specific information is required.

Indeed, I should have thought of that. I changed the setting, restarted hwinfo32.exe, and its memory footprint has stayed the same for the last half hour or so. Thank you for your prompt reply and accurate advice!

Martin said:
In case you are you have the Sensors active, then by default all scanned values are kept in memory in case the user wants to save them into a Report file later. To solve this, please open the Configure screen in Sensors and disable the "Log all values for Report (consumes memory)" option and let me know if that helped.

vttoth said:

I don't want to create a new topic since this one pretty much says it all so..
Well, same issue here, only thing that differs is, this is HWINFO64. All sensor logs check boxes have been disabled and I was wondering if 150MB of memory usage is something to consider after using the app for approx. 4 hours. I face this as a problem because HWINFO64 is asking for as much memory as JAVA and Firefox are on my laptop. We all know that System reqs. for HWINFO is not that much..at least after taking 150MB it's consumption is stable so far.

150MB seems to be too high.
I have just made a test run with sensors open and it's using approx 23.5 MB constantly (not raising).
Please describe how do you run HWiNFO64, how does the memory consumption grow and what features you have enabled. Also a screenshot of the sensors screen might help.

Just wanted to post that 2 years later this still fixes it. After about 24 hours of running HWinfo64 is at 700mb of memory. Maybe consider leaving that off by default so users do not think there is a bug with HWinfo?

Back