Missing CPU Info After OS Update

Bebop0389

So I installed the latest batch of Windows 7 X64 updates, restarted, and HWiNFO (x64 portable) has gone all screwy. Pic and .dbg attached.

I don't know what to make of it :huh: , and wonder if the timing is coincidence or if there's somehow an incompatibility with a Windows update, or perhaps a hardware issue. The "i7 2600k" sensor has been replaced with another entry of "Intel Genuine-3400." It also no longer displays the BUS/BCLK, core 3 thread 2, core 1-3 ratios, temp readouts for Core 2, etc. I've had no other issues except these sudden changes to HWiNFO and CPU-Z (which incorrectly lists the CPU cache among a couple other things).

Troubleshooting
I attempted a clean re-install of both the beta and the stable release, shut down and rebooted the machine, briefly retested CPU stability, checked event viewer, ran scans and set exclusions in my antivirus (Comodo and MBAM), ran sfc/scannow, and checked the Windows update details (none sound like they'd cause this).

System Specs
Windows 7 Home Premium X64
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz (~10hrs P95 stable, 6 months of use with no issue)
Gigabyte P67 UD7
GTX 580
4gb X2 RAM at XMP (Memtested)
Seasonic 850w
etc.

Thanks for the great software and any insight you can provide into this issue; I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64DBG.zip
    60.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Desktop_2014_12_13_23_33_01_613.png
    Desktop_2014_12_13_23_33_01_613.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 6
Indeed, there's something really screwed and my guess is that it is caused by the latest Windows update.
Something in the system is preventing HWiNFO from properly enumerating CPUID information. Have you tried other system information tools if those are affected too ?
There was a recent Windows update released on Dec-10 which was rolled back by Microsoft 2 days later (the claim was they needed to uninstall it because that update could cause problems).

Martin said:
Indeed, there's something really screwed and my guess is that it is caused by the latest Windows update.
Something in the system is preventing HWiNFO from properly enumerating CPUID information. Have you tried other system information tools if those are affected too ?
There was a recent Windows update released on Dec-10 which was rolled back by Microsoft 2 days later (the claim was they needed to uninstall it because that update could cause problems).

Thank you for the response Martin. That makes good sense. I couldn't help but freak out and think I fried one of the cores or something.

I think I ruled out the Antivirus blocking CPUID. I set exclusions, disabled all of it and restarted the machine, which didn't help.

Yes, other system tools display info incorrectly. CPU-Z lists the CPU in one section as "i3/i5/i7" now, lists cores differently, and only lists the L2 cache. Aida 64's DMI cache report strikes me as odd (though I never looked at it before).

The updates were installed on 12/13, bringing the OS fully up to date. I'll see if I can get more info on the updates and determine which one might be causing this, and if there's a fix.

Martin said:
Check this update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024777
That's actually the one which will remove the previously installed KB 3004394 that according to Microsoft can cause problems.
Though not sure if this is really what's causing your problem.

Thanks for the reply, and on a Sunday no less. I appreciate it.

I checked the update history, and it appears I don't have either of those installed, and the Windows Update did not find any additional updates. I wonder if they had to be searched for online and downloaded manually to get them.

Could this be a BIOS issue? My motherboard is known for CMOS/BIOS corruption when you change settings a lot, so I rarely go into the BIOS, but I was getting 102mhz BCLK readings, so I recently changed the BCLK from auto to manual 100mhz. Perhaps I should CLR CMOS/reflash and see if it helps.

If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can think to do is Windows restore or a restore from a backup image.

I'm afraid, I don't know what exactly is causing that, never seen such a problem yet.
You might either try to download that MS update manually and install it.
Also you might go into BIOS and try to load safe values.

Martin said:
I'm afraid, I don't know what exactly is causing that, never seen such a problem yet.
You might either try to download that MS update manually and install it.
Also you might go into BIOS and try to load safe values.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

I tried multiple times, but MS update kb3024777 will start to run and then does nothing. Loading safe values did not help. Testing the HDD showed it's not the problem.

Next I'll try the CMOS/BIOS I guess (not sure if they can cause this issue, but seems worth a shot), and then a system restore, if necessary.

Should you come up with other ideas, please let me know. I'll update this post as I try new fixes, and hopefully find a solution.

I have asked around and a friend told me that he saw such an anomaly once. After reinstalling Windows it was OK.

Martin said:
I have asked around and a friend told me that he saw such an anomaly once. After reinstalling Windows it was OK.

Thank you for your continued assistance Martin.

It seems this is an issue with the updated Comodo anti-virus after all. Disabling Enhanced Protection Mode (in: Advanced Settings>Hips>Hips Settings) has helped.

CPU-Z now reports the CPU and caches correctly. More importantly, HWiNFO detection is a bit improved: the CPU is listed as a 2600k now, and I can see the BCLK in HWiNFO Monitor, but not in the application itself.

The layout is still screwy and missing info, unfortunately. All of said info, I suspect, will display in HWiNFO Monitor though. I tried a re-install of the application, but it didn't help. Is it possible to delete all user preferences and force the application to re-acquire the layout?

That's interesting, thanks for the feedback.
To clear all HWiNFO settings, press the "Reset Preferences" button (before launching the scan press Settings).
If that won't help, please attach a new debug file for analysis.

Martin said:
That's interesting, thanks for the feedback.
To clear all HWiNFO settings, press the "Reset Preferences" button (before launching the scan press Settings).
If that won't help, please attach a new debug file for analysis.

Awesome. Working 100% now. I greatly appreciate the help in sorting it out.

Back