MSI x58 Platinum + Xeon x5670 CPU clock speeds inaccurate - no turbo boost detection

majstor

Chipset X58
CPU Xeon X5670

In older versions like 5.60.3280 turbo boost ratios were detected, although I must admit sometimes clocks showed weird numbers including bus, cpu speeds, ratios.

In latest version 5.84 and 5.85-3465 beta sensors only show max x22 ratios without turbo (which should go up to x25) and hence clock speed inaccurate.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
On those CPUs it's quite problematic to determine the correct clock, as they don't provide the actual clock ratios in Turbo mode.
Try to perhaps disable Bus Clock Based clock calculation in HWiNFO if you'll get better results.

How come it worked in older version then? What was different then?

bJhKc6u.png

Edit: disabling bus clock based clock calculation didn't help.

Is your BCLK really 173.6 MHz ?
Can you please attach also a debug file from v5.60 ?

Martin said:
Is your BCLK really 173.6 MHz ?
Can you please attach also a debug file from v5.60 ?

Yes. In bios overclock is set at 173 but it seems it always adds 0.5-0.6 MHz.
aHASVbQ.png

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    792.3 KB · Views: 1
It seems there was a trivial solution. I was messing around with bios settings and turned on HPET and suddenly HWInfo was showing proper clocks. But normally I don't run with HPET so after disabling it I went to settings and noticed "use HPET" after unchecking it HWInfo is showing proper clocks.

Sorry for the trouble.

Yay for solution!

Edit: although this doesn't explain why older version worked since older version had "use HPET" checked by default just like new one.

Thanks for the feedback. I was scratching my head for pretty long and HPET was one of my ideas what could be wrong there, but as you already said it doesn't explain why this worked with older versions.
So to make it clear - the problem occurs only when "Use HPET" is enabled in HWiNFO but HEPT is disabled in BIOS ?

Martin said:
Thanks for the feedback. I was scratching my head for pretty long and HPET was one of my ideas what could be wrong there, but as you already said it doesn't explain why this worked with older versions.
So to make it clear - the problem occurs only when "Use HPET" is enabled in HWiNFO but HEPT is disabled in BIOS ?

It seems so. When HPET is enabled in bios it seems to show proper clocks. Although I was also messing with
bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy Enhanced

and dunno if that had anything to do with it while HPET was enabled in bios but I doubt it. In the meantime i deleted useplatformclock and disabled HPET in bios but still run with tscsyncpolicy enhanced when I discovered unchecking use HPET in hwinfo settings fixed it.

OK, I think I found the problem in HWiNFO :) Will fix that in the next build.

I'm glad you got something positive out of this. :)

Do you mind if I hijack this at the end to ask if you can shed some light on what tscsyncpolicy enhanced does and should I be ignoring it or can it be useful to use?

I think that the tscsyncpolicy setting should have no effect on HWiNFO reporting clock once I fix this issue (or when you have HPET enabled).

Back