No "CPU Package" temp

Gondawn

Hi guys. I must say I am kinda mediocre at computers, so sorry if this question is really dumb...
I've been following this video to have my temps displayed on the taskbar and to track CPU temp he finds this "CPU Package" temp, however I am just unable to find it. I have MSI x570 gaming plus motherboard, Ryzen 5800x3d processor if that matters. If I go to layout section I have 0 hidden items there.
Am I missing something here?

AMD Ryzen CPUs don't have the "CPU Package" temperature, but other like "CPU (Tdie)", "CPU Die (average)" which is the same equivalent.

AMD Ryzen CPUs don't have the "CPU Package" temperature, but other like "CPU (Tdie)", "CPU Die (average)" which is the same equivalent.
Thank you for the response. Which one of the two would be more indicative of CPU temp?

Hi guys. I must say I am kinda mediocre at computers, so sorry if this question is really dumb...
I've been following this video to have my temps displayed on the taskbar and to track CPU temp he finds this "CPU Package" temp, however I am just unable to find it. I have MSI x570 gaming plus motherboard, Ryzen 5800x3d processor if that matters. If I go to layout section I have 0 hidden items there.
Am I missing something here?
This guy doesn't seem to know much about Ryzen CPUs

The temperature under the name "CPU Package" is just ASUS description for the CPU temperature that the board sensor is reading from the CPU. Copying it if you like...
My Gigabyte just saying "CPU". MSI could name it whatever...

And this sensor is always in the board section of HWiNFO sensors window.
HWiNFO64 has another section called CPU (Enhanced) and all these sensors are read straight from the CPU.
So for a latest 3000/5000 Ryzen CPU you have a bunch of different temp sensor readings, all true, but reporting different things.

The one in the board section is usually copied from the "CPU (Tctl/Tdie)" sensor (without the decimal).

Untitled_001.png

This guy doesn't seem to know much about Ryzen CPUs

The temperature under the name "CPU Package" is just ASUS description for the CPU temperature that the board sensor is reading from the CPU. Copying it if you like...
My Gigabyte just saying "CPU". MSI could name it whatever...

And this sensor is always in the board section of HWiNFO sensors window.
HWiNFO64 has another section called CPU (Enhanced) and all these sensors are read straight from the CPU.
So for a latest 3000/5000 Ryzen CPU you have a bunch of different temp sensor readings, all true, but reporting different things.

The one in the board section is usually copied from the "CPU (Tctl/Tdie)" sensor (without the decimal).

View attachment 8159
Thank you for detailed response. I ended up tracking CPU (Tctl/Tdie) like you said

No problem.
And what ever else you like to ask feel free.
These modern CPUs (and systems) today provide a tone of information (thanks to HWiNFO) and for the average user can be overwhelming.

I´d like to necro this thread for nearly same question:
My Ryzen 5900x shows me an abnormally warm temperature while load in CPU Package.
Board in question is the Asus X570-E Gaming.

Could this issue be loop related (too long ways, raidator too small) or liquid metal application not perfectly?

With kind regards
Shin

Attachments

• Load.jpg
    Load.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Idle.jpg
    Idle.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 9
Actually 82C is not abnormal for a 5000series CPU. The do have aggressive boosting and they can briefly hit the 80~85C region even under a water loop.
Usually their 100% all core load produce smaller temp values than their single-middle thread loads. You may see up to 80~85C peak temp when gaming but during a CB R23 multicore test it may stay even under 70C.

If you noticed what I said on post #5, the ASUS "CPU package" temp is equal to HWiNFO's "CPU (Tctl/Tdie)" temp which is in fact like a hot spot temp in the entire CPU package. Always reporting the highest temp in the CPU wherever that may be.

During gaming or single threaded apps/tasks the boost is way higher than the all core threaded boost. So at single-middle threaded loads (highest boosting bursts) there are some small parts in the core section of the CPU that gets really hot super fast and no cooling solution can dissipate the heat fast enough.

Its very normal behavior of these CPUs.
Do test it your self. Run CB R23 in single thread and then multi thread and observe the highest temp in both cases. On single thread temp will be higher, even though the CPU will draw half the power against multi thread.

Thank you for your explanatory reply - I will check this later with the thread test.
This hot (spot) temp node made me nervous, henceforth my questioning. I did read your reply to the package naming, that's why I jacked the thread to question.
But if the temps are within expected range of working even in loop, then I can calm down.
Thank you very much Zach!

Back