Not sure I'm getting correct readings?

Puckducker

shqhx
So I've just built a new rig, with a Ryzen 1700 and Asus Strix x370. Running HWiNFO64, at fully stock settings it's showing my my idle cpu temp is sitting at 20c (and can even go as low as 16c). Under full load it only peaks at 40c. That seems a lot cooler than it should be running (especially since my room is 26c)

I've seen that other people have been having similar issues when using an Asus Strix x370 and Crosshair x370 boards. It sounds like there is a potential solution to disable SenseMI Skew in the bios, but unfortunately only the Crosshair bios has this option (someone released an unofficial bios update for the Strix that adds this....but I am too wary of installing unofficial bios updates)

I've still got a few questions regarding how HWiNFO is reporting. First off, I don't have CPU Tctl and Tdie as 2 seperate settings, they are combined into 1. In most other examples people have been posted, these readings are split into 2 different items. For me they are combined (see image). I've read that Tctl is the Tdie + the offset, so I don't know if that could be causing issues. 

I also don't seem to have the DRAM Voltage listed anywhere as far as I can tell

I'd also like to understand more what the "Temperature 2/4/5/6" readings under the Motherboard category are. To me, they look much more accurate to what my CPU temp is, they raise and fall with stress tests, and look much more in line with temps I'm expecting. 

Any help would be great!

shqhx

Attachments

• cpu_temps_01.jpg
    cpu_temps_01.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 11
That's right, your temperatures seem really low. Internal temperature of Ryzen CPUs depends on the Sense MI Skew setting and only the CROSSHAIR VI offers a BIOS option to adjust it.
The reason why you see Tctl/Tdie only is because your CPU doesn't use an offset to get Tdie. Only X-series require 20 C subtract from Tctl to get Tdie (Tdie = Tctl - 20), so in that case HWiNFO shows 2 values, otherwise only one because they are equal.

Your mainboard is not capable of monitoring DRAM voltage AFAIK. In case I'm wrong and the BIOS or ASUS AI Suite can monitor this value, please let me know.

On some ASUS mainboards the additional temperatures (3-6) were reporting the CPU socket temperature. So the external CPU temperature - a sensor in the CPU socket. It might be your case as well, but in that case it would mean the Tctl is really wrong, as it would need to be above the socket temperature.

Thanks for the clarity Martin, definitely appreciated. 

So other people using the Strix x370 board that have reported the same issue, have been able to resolve that issue by disabling Sense MI Skew (using a modified bios that was supplied by someone to add the feature toggle). https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-Solved-wrong-temps-with-ryzen-1700x-asus-x370-strix

But if the Ryzen 1700 doesn't use an offset, if Sense MI Skew is enabled by default could that mean an offset is still being applied, and I'm ONLY seeing the offset result because it's a 1700 chip so there should be no extra offset number to show?

And for the time being, do you think I can use the Temp3/4/5/6 values as rough CPU temp values? Like I said, they seem to scale exactly as expected as I put load on the CPU (though they don't change quite as fast as CPU Tdie)

EDIT: Also, when I see the CPU temp reported in the Bios, do you know what that value is being read from? Because that value seems correct to me in Bios (low 30's)

Sorry, but I can't give you a reliable answer for those questions, as this would require internal knowledge of the BIOS, CPU firmware and mainboard design.
I suggest to contact ASUS with those questions, the offer a quite good support.

No worries, I'm talking with Asus to see if they can help out.

In the meantime I've just offset the CPU fan curve by about 20c, so that at least the fan is responding to something closer to the real temperature.

Update, an Asus rep sent the 9001 bios update that others have been using, and as soon as installed, CPU temps are reporting what they should be (34c Idle and 53c Load).

Hopefully they can roll this into an official release soon enough so others won't end up with the same issue.

Back