Not Understanding Read/Write SSD Rates on HWInfo

Dave1001

I’m really confused on the nature of read/write rates in HWInfo; my SSD is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2tb and I’ve seen that more modern SSDs have 3,000mbs read/write speeds and whatnot

attached image is what HWInfo is showing for my SSD read/write rates while gaming (Destiny 2 is the game in this screenshot) and whenever it wasn’t in the 0.00’s, usually when loading somewhere, the Read rate would spike to 62mbs and the Write rate would, at most, be 3mbs

all my games run fine and are installed on this drive but I’m really confused? why is my read/write rate constantly at 0, more or less when people always talk about 500-3,000mbs. I feel like I’m missing something

edit: additionally, I ran a CMD prompt I saw numerous times "Winsat Disk -ran -write -Drive C" and it shows my SSD speed as anywhere from 1250mbs to 1320mbs (1 of the results was 1180mbs or so). however, I still don't really know what to make of this? everywhere I look online says the SSD has read/write speeds of 3000-3500mbs but nothing I do seems to show anything like that

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
It depends on how the system/software currently utilizes the drive. Games are not a good indicator if you want to see the maximum numbers, try some disk benchmarks instead.

It depends on how the system/software currently utilizes the drive. Games are not a good indicator if you want to see the maximum numbers, try some disk benchmarks instead.
just remembered there was another CrystalDisk software, I've downloaded that (CrystalDiskMark), and I'm seeing these results:

1690702798761.png

this seems closer to what I see advertised all over the internet? with the 3400-3500mb read/write speed on the top columns

look at hwinfo while the benchmark is running :)
loading a game will be very spiky in terms of read speed.

Back