NVidia optimus & newer versions of HWInfo.

Thanks for your feedback. Those items are marked with a red "x" because you have disabled their monitoring. Can you please try to enable them back and check if that still works as it should ? There might still be some glitch that would need to be fixed...

Matt,

Thank you for running the test and confirming my changes worked as I hoped.

I am happy to hear you are impressed with SIV and suspect with the SIV save files from your system I could make it do even better. To generate these do Menu->File->Save Public (Minimul Information) or Menu->File->Save Local (All Information) then either e-mail them to me or post them here. I have recentry been adding code to report laptop fan speeds and am wondering if SIV does/could report these on your system.

Does HWiNFO report any sensors that are missing from the SIV [Status] page?

Regards, Ray

Martin said:
Thanks for your feedback. Those items are marked with a red "x" because you have disabled their monitoring. Can you please try to enable them back and check if that still works as it should ? There might still be some glitch that would need to be fixed...

Ah thanks for clarifying. When I re-enable monitoring on the GPU in the sensor window I see the "old" behavior: polling + temperature increase. So I'd say using sensor-only mode (while, remember, the "Wake GPUs..." option is enabled) replicates the original issue.

-Matt

red-ray said:
Matt,

Thank you for running the test and confirming my changes worked as I hoped.

I am happy to hear you are impressed with SIV and suspect with the SIV save files from your system I could make it do even better. To generate these do Menu->File->Save Public (Minimul Information) or Menu->File->Save Local (All Information) then either e-mail them to me or post them here. I have recentry been adding code to report laptop fan speeds and am wondering if SIV does/could report these on your system.

Does HWiNFO report any sensors that are missing from the SIV [Status] page?

Regards, Ray

Ray, sorry for putting you off for a bit but my workday began 2 hours ago and I shouldn't procrastinate much longer! I'll try to get you a save file later today. In the meantime, I haven't done an itemwise comparison of the two utilities, but at first glance they look very comparable. If I had a very minor note to offer, it's that when I ran SIV I didn't find the "Menu" option/command -- it seemed intuitive that it might require a right-click, but then I noticed that different areas of the main window have different contexts...in short it took a few tries to find!

-Matt

gadgetrants said:
Ah thanks for clarifying. When I re-enable monitoring on the GPU in the sensor window I see the "old" behavior: polling + temperature increase. So I'd say using sensor-only mode (while, remember, the "Wake GPUs..." option is enabled) replicates the original issue.

-Matt

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try to fix this and will post a new build soon.

Ray, sorry for putting you off for a bit but my workday began 2 hours ago and I shouldn't procrastinate much longer! I'll try to get you a save file later today. In the meantime, I haven't done an itemwise comparison of the two utilities, but at first glance they look very comparable. If I had a very minor note to offer, it's that when I ran SIV I didn't find the "Menu" option/command -- it seemed intuitive that it might require a right-click, but then I noticed that different areas of the main window have different contexts...in short it took a few tries to find!

-Matt

I am not sure what to do about the menus for new users as most seem to find them quickly enough. You can also use the split button dropdowns as shortcuts and Right/Click the tray icon. To find things Menu->Edit->View Menus is helpful.

I have just uplaoded Beta-40 which fixes a few issues when GPUs are offline.

Regards, Ray

Martin said:
Here's a new build with more updates to handling of Optimus:
www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_417_1914.zip
Please let me know how it works...
Excellent -- works as intended. The GPU was accessed once on start-up, but otherwise that's it. When I checked the entry for the GPU in the sensor window, there was only one line listing the card, but with no values. When I right-clicked the card, it showed as enabled, with the option to disable/hide.

Thanks, looks good!

-Matt

Great :) HWiNFO needs to access it at least once during start to detect it, then it doesn't touch it anymore until it's enabled. You might also check what happens if you enable it during HWiNFO runtime.

Thank you Martin,
thank you, Ray,
you and your creations are both awesome :)

Martin, the newest beta works almost as intended, with a minor remark:

If I run something that utilizes nvidia gpu, for instance, photoshop, first, and then hwinfo, the whole bunch of sensors would show up (15 in my case);

But if I first run hwinfo and then photoshop the GPU[#1] section gets populated with gpu clock and memory clock sensors only.

Thanks again for your continuous effort of polishing the program!
(I've noticed you also added an 'average' column, which is very handy)

captain.abstract said:
Thanks again for your continuous effort of polishing the program!
(I've noticed you also added an 'average' column, which is very handy)
@captain.abstract, thanks for doing more than the superficial testing that I did! I'm glad you followed through.

I also wanted to second the THANKS on adding the average column/statistic. That's been very useful for me as I've begun to take a look at the distribution of load across cores. Martin: how much trouble would it be to add an option to the tray sensors, so that the displayed value reports the average, rather than the real-time value? For some readings, the average has a bit more utility for me.

-Matt

Martin said:
I think I found the bug.

you've nailed it! :) now it displays all the sensors when my gt650 is in use.
optimus users are giving you huge hugs!

I suppose it's too much to ask, but if an option to return to initial state (as in SIV, where it returns to n/a when gpu is not in use) would make it to the final release, I would be totally happy :rolleyes: But hey, I'm already 99.99% happy with hwinfo)

I'm not sure what you mean with "an option to return to initial state". Can you please explain?

Sure! I meant so that when the gpu is not in use anymore, its sensors might disappear from view. (in SIV, the 'N/A' is displayed in this case instead of clock frequency). I referred to this state as initial because when hwinfo is launched and there's no load on gpu, it displays only the gpu's header row (GPU [#1]: nVidia GeForce....)

Sorry, I need this described precisely. Since I don't have such a system I need to 'diagnose' what happens in my head only (which happens quite common for me) ;)
So what's exactly happening - when the GPU is not used by other apps anymore it switches back to off mode, then most sensors in HWiNFO disappear except clocks which remain stuck ? And the desired behavior is not to display clocks too ?

Okay :)
Let G = any software which uses Nvidia chip

case 1:
a) start hwinfo

b) start G

c) quit G
same picture as b)

case 2:
a) start G
b) start hwinfo

c) quit G
same picture as b)

I meant that in both cases after the G is closed,
hwinfo might revert back to

IMHO, this might be an option since there's nothing really to monitor when gpu is idle, on the other hand, it's still nice to know how hot it is when idle or how much voltage consumes :)

That's a great guide :) Thanks for explaining :)
I thought it should work as you are expecting, but it obviously doesn't.

Three questions:
1. After you close G, do you see that the GPU has really been deactivated ?
2. Can you please try to raise the Scan Interval in Sensors/Configure if that maybe changes something ?
3. After you close G, does neither of the GPU values in HWiNFO change ?

1. Not really, merely guessing so, based on frequencies and temps (in my case 135 Mhz seems to be the idle freq)
2. Tried with 10 sec, it only seems to delay the moment when sensors show up
3. Exactly, they remain stuck at those values which were being displayed when G was closed.

What I found as well: when I lauch photoshop, there's a moment when clocks max out and they remain there until I load an image and start manipulating it, so I closed it in this state and all the sensors stuck at max.
The temperature doesn't seem to be updating as well.

But wait! I've just decided to plug the laptop out of AC and let it run on battery. Suddenly, the nvidia sensors disappeared! :huh::D (as in picture a), case1)

Back