NZXT Kraken showing two times (only one is right RPM)

highpec

Hello,

I just did a new build and have an NZXT Kraken x52 attached to the PC.

It's attach to the CPU_OPT header (which is also a W_PUMP header as marked on the board) and it's set to W_PUMP in UEFI.

HWiNFO detects the CPU_OPT slot as the proper RPM speed (the speed that's shown in UEFI), but also lists another device with it's own label, and shows an incorrect RPM. The RPM of the "actual" that shows the liquid temp, it more like the RPM of a fan, but it's not changing exactly the same as any fan in the PC.

(Note: I changed the CPU_OPT fan's name to NZXT Kraken x52).

Any idea what causes this?

The device as shown in HWiNFO
jHBBAR5.jpg

The correct header (CPU_OPT) with changed name:
mrehNPH.jpg

NZXT Kraken Pump shows the internally measured speed, while CPU_OPT senses the speed via the standard fan header.
I'm not sure which of those is correct, but I'd rather say it's the NZXT Kraken value.
If the difference is approximately twice, then the CPU_OPT fan measurement might require an additional multiplier.

Martin said:
NZXT Kraken Pump shows the internally measured speed, while CPU_OPT senses the speed via the standard fan header.
I'm not sure which of those is correct, but I'd rather say it's the NZXT Kraken value.
If the difference is approximately twice, then the CPU_OPT fan measurement might require an additional multiplier.

Hm... but surely the pump isn't running at only 1200rpm? Seems like it wouldn't be cooling at all at that speed. Now I'm a bit worried though, if NZXT's sensor is saying 1200rpm...

One my 8700k with x62, I don't have any available NZXT speed at all. (Although I had CAM in the past, but uninstalled it.)

Martin said:
Try to compare with the CAM software.

I have the fans plugged into motherboard, not the CAM connector... I hate using CAM, really hate it. I don't use it on my main PC either, and I've never had a problem with cooling. If the CPU_OPT sensor is set to W_PUMP, and the UEFI shows ~2400rpm, it seems that it's working properly... I hope at least, considering it's cooling a ThreadRipper 1950x -_-;;. But I really don't feel like taking it apart.

The 1950x idles at 30C, which is really low for an Asetek cooler from what I've seen... so I'm pretty sure the pump is moving at the right speed... I can't find any information on this issue though. On Intel motherboards, or at least ASUS, the AIO_PUMP header will run at 100% speed no matter what, but on this ASRock, there are 2 W_PUMP headers but they also can be used for non-100% fans.

However, even before I switched the UEFI to W_PUMP, it reported it as a fan running at 2400rpm. Also, I tried as an experiment to lower it, and it does nothing, even when set as a fan, it just stays ~2300+ rpm.

Sorry, I can't help with this, don't have experience with such a configuration. It might be well that the W_PUMP reports correct speed and since you're not using the CAM header that one is not reporting right. Perhaps try to check with NZXT..

highpec said:
If the CPU_OPT sensor is set to W_PUMP, and the UEFI shows ~2400rpm, it seems that it's working properly... I hope at least, considering it's cooling a ThreadRipper 1950x -_-

However, even before I switched the UEFI to W_PUMP, it reported it as a fan running at 2400rpm. Also, I tried as an experiment to lower it, and it does nothing, even when set as a fan, it just stays ~2300+ rpm.

1) The X62 is a SATA powered pump and fan controller, so you will never be able to adjust it by altering BIOS fan header parameters.  You must use the CAM software for this.

2) The X62 has a variable speed pump.  It will speed up as the liquid temp increases.  Without CAM running I have no idea what it will do.  Most likely revert back to a base firmware set of instructions and control points between 1500-3000 rpm. Regardless, you should not be surprised to see it moving around. 

3) The X62 is Asetek and like a lot of those you need to multiply the BIOS fan read by 2 to obtain the actual pump speed, as Martin suggested.  The 1200 in the BIOS is the same as the 2400 read off the pump directly in HWINFO.  If it stays at that even ratio great, but in my experience with the X62 the BIOS readings are unpredictable and erratic, often swinging from ridiculous lows to improbable highs.  Unless NZXT has addressed this in a recent firmware update, the BIOS is going to have trouble reading the pump.

4) I don't quite follow your "CPU_OPT sensor is set to W_PUMP" statement.  Those are two different headers.  The motherboard connector from the X62 pump doesn't do a lot and is more useful for preventing boot errors with nothing on CPU fan.  The header you connect it to won't affect the reading.  You have an Asus board so OPT is a mirror of CPU Fan.  Whatever you connected on CPU fan will force itself onto OPT.  CPU Fan and OPT should be reading the same.  The W_Pump header provides a constant 12v signal, which you don't need for the X62.  If you put the radiator fans on CPU/OPT, then it is fine to stick the X62 on W_Pump.

Back