Old HDD S.M.A.R.T info

Kol12

Well-Known Member
I have a Seagate 3TB HDD that has been removed from my system and HWiNFO continues to show readings for it. How can I remove it?
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
What values does HWiNFO show for it? Do you see that drive in Device Manager too?
Please also attach the HWiNFO Debug File for analysis.
 

Kol12

Well-Known Member
Martin said:
What values does HWiNFO show for it? Do you see that drive in Device Manager too?
Please also attach the HWiNFO Debug File for analysis.
I have put a replacement drive in of the same model (ST3000DM008) and I also have an external Seagate drive (ST3000DM003). The 3TB replacement drive (ST3000DM008) shows different serial numbers in HWiNFO. Only the one drive is Device Manager. I will attach a debug file ASAP.
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I don't see that HWiNFO would read some old drive here. Please attach a screenshot where exactly the old data is shown.
 

Kol12

Well-Known Member
Just unsure about the S.M.A.R.T info for ST3000M008. The read/writes are correct at 88MB/174MB as this is a brand new drive.
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
OK, I see now. If you have renamed the labels then the entire custom label you used (including the serial number) is kept for a device at the same address.
Try to rename the label again, it will then show the original (new) serial number.
 

Kol12

Well-Known Member
Martin said:
OK, I see now. If you have renamed the labels then the entire custom label you used (including the serial number) is kept for a device at the same address.
Try to rename the label again, it will then show the original (new) serial number.
Yep done. Question with the SSD's - why are they getting Drive Airflow Temperature but not Drive Temperature?
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
SATA drives can return 2 temperatures, but usually they are the same. So actually it doesn't matter which of those is returned as it mostly reflects just a single temperature sensor.
 

Kol12

Well-Known Member
Martin said:
SATA drives can return 2 temperatures, but usually they are the same. So actually it doesn't matter which of those is returned as it mostly reflects just a single temperature sensor.
Is there any reason why one is called drive airflow temperature then? I'm guessing it's not actually an airflow temperature?
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
This was probably per early specifications, which vendors didn't quite follow up.
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Meaning of those 2 possible temperatures has been defined in early SATA/SMART specifications, but it wasn't mandatory. So many vendors used either of those to report a single temperature without the right meaning (drive/airflow). It's reported as is in case of drives that would report both values.
 

Kol12

Well-Known Member
Where are the temp sensors usually located in HDD's and SSD's?

Is there any reason why my Seagate 3TB drive doesn't get a Drive Remaining Life? Is that SSD's only?
 

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Both values are completely in hands of drive vendors. I haven't seen the exact locations of temp sensors disclosed anywhere.
 
Top