Possible to add a timer for logging?

PiersJH

I propose adding a timer for logging. This is for two reasons:

1. I often leave my PC on, especially if stress-testing. This can mean the PC is left on over a weekend when I'm away and I would like to enable logging for X hours (let's say 12 hours as an example). With a timer that automatically stops logging after 12 hours, I could run a stress-testing application with an approximately known length, set HWiNFO to log for 12 hours, and then go away.

2. I leave HWiNFO running in the background on my home server. With an older version of HWiNFO (I haven't tested how it behaves now), I enabled logging and forgot to turn it off. It was another 35 days before I checked the server. When I tried to login via RDP, the page file had been filled and the server was spitting out errors due to hardware limitations of running HWiNFO for such a long period. I have no idea how big a HWiNFO log file with 35 days worth of data is (I had to reboot via IPMI in the end as it was unresponsive, and I used to have a script that cleared the server's logging directory on startup), but I imagine quite large!

And here's a very quick mock-up of how simple it could be. It could either be a dropdown box, or a value in minutes. If a dropdown box, perhaps values of 1H - 48H? What do you think, @Martin ?

1646645691839.png

This is possible in the Pro version using a command-line parameter together with the automatic logging mode.

This is possible in the Pro version using a command-line parameter together with the automatic logging mode.

I have little issue with purchasing an annual licence for HWiNFO 64 Pro, as both the initial and renewal prices are fair, but I would prefer a UI option instead of command line option. If using a command line, it would be easier to create a small script that automatically stops logging after X hours.

Back