Possible wrong junction temp - GPU RTX EVGA ULTRA FTW3 3080

Owmince

I have a rig of multiple brand new RTX 3080 graphics cards from different manufacturers (ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA).

All cards are running around 88-94°c (junction temp) with good OC settings (not at max).

The EVGA is running at 104-106°c constantly with lower OC settings.

What makes me wonder that the temp may not be right is that the EVGA comes with additional sensors in HWINFO, see screenshot below:

1616084625283.png
The highest temp is about 53°c.

How can i have a junction temp at 106°c ?

Also, when i put my hand around the card, it is one of the coldest card from the rig. The others ones are much hotter.

Let me know if you need more data or tests.

Last edited:
These EVGA sensors are placed on the PCB in proximity of particular circuits. So they will always read lower values than the Tj which is read inside the silicon.

I have a rig of multiple brand new RTX 3080 graphics cards from different manufacturers (ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA).

All cards are running around 88-94°c (junction temp) with good OC settings (not at max).

The EVGA is running at 104-106°c constantly with lower OC settings.

What makes me wonder that the temp may not be right is that the EVGA comes with additional sensors in HWINFO, see screenshot below:

View attachment 6140
The highest temp is about 53°c.

How can i have a junction temp at 106°c ?

Also, when i put my hand around the card, it is one of the coldest card from the rig. The others ones are much hotter.

Let me know if you need more data or tests.
Your EVGA is an ICX version/model that has additional sensors on PCB near some components. 1 near the GPU, 3 near some memory modules and 5 near some VR modules. As Martin said these temps are an approximation to the real on die values. So what you see on the regular sensors must be real.

Keep in mind that some coolers do not connect the memory heatsink section to the main GPU heatsink. And also if the backplate doesn’t have pads then you won’t feel this level of temperature (100C) anywhere by hand.

Back