Problem understanding temps with 1090T

nanulin

Hello all,

First of all, sorry for my english because is not my native languaje. I'll do all my efforts for that all you can understand my message. ( All corrections will be welcomed :) )

How I told, I have a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T and I am trying to find the correct temp of my CPU.

I'll put a img when I was trying with differents programs to find this data.

mcNySUV.jpg

How you can see I have 2 readings ( in HWinfo ) about my CPU.

- CPU 0 = 31.3º
- CPU = 43º

This data is with the computer in idle.

The problem come when I play Far Cry 3 for exemple. Then the CPU 0 stays on 55º aprox but CPU rises to 63-64º.

AMD tell that for this processor is better does not bring the temperature above 62 º

Then ¿Which is the right temperature? If is CPU 0 is not to be worried but if is CPU then something is going wrong.

Again sorry for my english and I'll wait for your messages.

Regards,

Hello and thx Martin,

Does this mean that the right (or aprox) termal value of my CPU is 43º ( +- 1º ) or should I take the CPU 31.3 0 +-1º? Wich one is more real then?

My technical knowledge its a bit poor :)

Regards and thx.

I suggest not to trust the "CPU 0" value. It might be more precise closer to the critical temperature limit, but only AMD knows this exactly. Maybe it would be best to ask their support.
The other "CPU" temperature should be coming from a diode close to the CPU socket.
I'm sorry, that there's so much confusion about this, but it's not my fault.

Martin said:
I suggest not to trust the "CPU 0" value. It might be more precise closer to the critical temperature limit, but only AMD knows this exactly. Maybe it would be best to ask their support.
The other "CPU" temperature should be coming from a diode close to the CPU socket.

Ok.

I'll ask to AMD.

Thx a lot.

nanulin said:
Martin said:

Ok.

I'll ask to AMD.

Thx a lot.

Hello again.

What I found in amd forums was this:

Concerning your question regarding the temperatures with your processor. (1090) the maximum temperature threshold is 62 Celsius which set for the internal die (core) temperature of the chip. The core temperatures have an equational offset to determine temperature which equalizes at about 45 Celsius thus giving you more accurate readings at peak temperatures. The hindrance in this is the sub ambient idle temperature readings you speak of.
The silicon and adhesives used in manufacturing these processors has a peak temperature rating of 97+ Celsius before any form of degradation will take place. The processor also has a thermal shut off safe guard in place that shuts the processor down at 90 Celsius.

The Cpu temperature is read form a sensor embedded within the socket of your motherboard causing about a 7-10 Celsius variance form the actual Cpu temperature, which may be what you are reading about on the net.
I hope I was able to answer your questions, If you have any more inquiries don't hesitate to contact us.

You can use an application called AMD overdrive, that will allow you to monitor your temperatures accurately.

As long as your core temperature has not exceeded the high side of the 60 degree mark for extended periods of time you should be ok. 62 degrees holds a generous safety net to begin with.

Thank You

Alex Cromwell
Senior Technology Director
Advanced Micro Devices
Fort Collins, Colorado
2950 East Harmony Road
Suite 300
Fort Collins, CO
80528-9558

Thanks for the feedback. That confirms what I said - the internal CPU sensor has problems reporting correct values at lower temperatures (< 45 C).
The seconds paragraph talks about the external sensor on mainboard (CPU socket).
It would be interesting to know more from AMD about the internal CPU sensor, especially the accuracy at different temperatures.

Back