Questions on various sensors/threads on Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master

cpp

Thank you so much for an awesome program. It is so much better, more comprehensive, & more accurate than any of the alternatives.

I have a Threadripper 3960x on a Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master. I have a few questions about some of the sensors/readings:

SENSORS
* ITE IT8688E: is this the main super I/O?
* ITE IT8792E: is this a secondary super I/O?
* Infineon XDPE132GSC: is this the main VRM?
* IRF IR35204: is this the SoC VRM?

READINGS
* Why doesn't the average of the Core 0-23 VIDs equal the Core VID (Effective)? I understand that the VID values are the requested voltages, and that SVI2 is the best indicator of actual voltage. But I'm just curious why the average of the core VIDs for the individual cores doesn't equal the CPU Core VID.
* The XDPE132GSC reports two different VR Out values. One is almost exactly equal to SVI2 but one is consistently near zero. I assume the latter is just some extraneous field reported by the sensor?
* For XDPE132GSC, as expected per laws of electricity, power in = current in * volt in and power out = current out * volt out. But for IR35204, the relationship is correct for power in, but for power out is only about 95% of current out * volt out. I'm just curious why. (Note: this is not the same as power inefficiency, whereby power out is ~90% of power in, as expected due to inefficiency in the form of heat. This is just comparing power out to voltage out and current out.)
* CPU: Core + SoC Power is consistently 22-33W less than CPU Package Power -- does that mean there are other things beyond Core & SoC that are not directly displayed but included in Package Power?

SENSORS: Yes to all your questions.
READINGS:
There is only a single voltage supplied to the CPU, and it's not an average among core VIDs. There are several factors playing a role on the decision what exact voltage is really supplied to the CPU.
The 2 values under XDPE132GSC are for 2 loops of the VRM, first is the VDDCR_CORE, second might be another rail, but I'm not sure which it is.
For all VRMs the values shown come straight from internal VRM telemetry, we have no information how the IR35204 calculates the resulting power.
The CPU contains several voltage rails, but only some of them are SVI2-compliant and support telemetry (VDDCR_CORE, VDDCR_SOC). There are several other rails (i.e. VDD18, VDDIO_MEM, VDDP, RoC) which are estimated based on activity level and summed with those with telemetry capability for total Package Power.

Thanks. Very helpful. Just curious, what does VDDCR stand for?

Also, do you know what these are?
VBAT
AVCC3
CPU VDD18
DDRVpp (I know it's to do with RAM but not sure what)

Also, do you know why there is a stray value for Chipset temperature that shows up under "Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master (AMD 570)"? It's much higher (hotter) than the chipset temp that shows up under IT8688E, which I assume is the correct one. I guess that the AMD 570 one is some kind of leftover in BIOS by Gigabyte when they designed their TRX40 boards based on the earlier 570 boards.

Also, do you know why there is a stray value for Chipset temperature that shows up under "Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master (AMD 570)"? It's much higher (hotter) than the chipset temp that shows up under IT8688E, which I assume is the correct one. I guess that the AMD 570 one is some kind of leftover in BIOS by Gigabyte when they designed their TRX40 boards based on the earlier 570 boards.
Even AM4 X570s have 2 readings on chipset temp, usually with a lot of difference between them.
1 alone and high reading, and the other under the board sensor along with all others.
On my X570 AorusPro I have confirm with BIOS readings and Gigabyte software (SIV) that the lower reading (under board sensor IT8688E) is what the board takes as chipset temp (control the PCH fan for example).

The other higher reading temp, the stand alone, is not clear what exactly is. Could be some VR of 1 chipset rail, or even the main one. If I’m not mistaken, these chipsets have at least 3 different voltage rails.

The other (higher) PCH temperature is the value read from internal PCH sensor. The lower one is most likely an external sensor close to the PCH chip.

Back