RAM frequency : Module vs supported

depaul

Hi. Is the RAM frequency reported by HWinfo related to the module ? or the actual mobo supported RAM?

For instance : I've bought some 2400 DDR4 RAM, and HWinfo is reporting 2400.
But my laptop (Elitebook 840 G3) only supports 2133??

Thanks.

That depends on which exact value you mean.
There is "Maximum Supported Memory Clock:" which is the capability of the memory controller and there is per-module maximum supported clock.

Thank you @Martin for replying to my query.

So, how can we find the first value "Maximum Supported Memory Clock:", which is the capability of the memory controller ? using HWinfo? Or is it only available through manufacturer website?

Thanks you Sir!

"Maximum Supported Memory Clock:" is shown in the main window under the Memory node. But this is possible to determine only for certain memory controllers. Later Intel CPUs with integrated memory controller might also show this information under the CPU node.

"Maximum Supported Memory Clock:" is shown in the main window under the Memory node. But this is possible to determine only for certain memory controllers. Later Intel CPUs with integrated memory controller might also show this information under the CPU node.
Does this mean that if the value is 1300.0 MHz, then it can not support two RAM modules running at 800 MHz?

Back