Reporting Bug with Renesas RAA229131 On Gigabyte MOBO's

JAEMzWOLF

On my Z790 Aorus Master, when I had BIOS F11 installed, I would sometimes notice that the area of the sensor window showing the Renesas RAA229131 info (Renesas voltage controller) that some values, like IOUT and IIN, would show zero and grey out for a short while before coming back on. Since they always came back, I didnt really think much of it and just figured that since HWInfo reading the RAA229131 values was somewhat new for Giga boards, it was a minor bug.

However, upon installing the latest, security updated F12 bios - I have just encounter a worse issue (on top of the preexisting one) of the entire RAA229131 section greying out and HWInfo mostly locking up, at least in terms of reporting values freezing, and even the time/counter getting rather sluggish.

I closed and reopened the software, and it went back to normal, except the RAA229131 section was entirely gone. Reinstalling the software changed nothing (I even tried previous versions and not just reinstalled the most recent), and even restarting windows changed nothing. However, after a total shut down (I even killed power to the psu to make it a total cold boot)) the section is back and behaving normally again (for now).

Clearly this is a problem of the bios properly permitting the reporting such that software can see it, which is fixed by cold booting. But also, clearly HWInfo has issues with a sensors dropping out (getting all glitchy over a sensor being naughty doesn't feel like proper behavior IMO).

Try to open Device Manager and locate the "Intel(R) Serial IO I2C Host Controller" devices under System devices.
In the Power Management tab try to disable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.

Changed! I will update later if this is NOT a fix for me. Thank you very much, btw. :D EDIT - values still grey out sometimes and show 0 for that period and the lowest value is therefor 0.

But while I have your eyes, may I inquire further...

There is a section titled "Gigabyte EC: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master" that doesn't display anything. When you click on it the make the "arrow"/carrot face down instead of to the right, nothing displays at all - so a header with no sub values. I can reset everything, and this doesn't change. When you view it under the hidden section of layout, it doesn't have any sub fields either. Like a sensor just saying nothing.

Last edited:
That section is for some additional sensors like the System 7/8 Fan/Pump but if those are not connected or momentary not spinning they are not shown.

That section is for some additional sensors like the System 7/8 Fan/Pump but if those are not connected or momentary not spinning they are not shown.
ok great thank you!

any other thoughts on the greying out/zero-ing sections? Sometimes the amp reading, which I generally ignore anyway, will show a max of 6500 or something too.

Hello Martin,

I have a MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi Motherboard (MS-7D89) with same RAA229131 VRM controller, and having a similar issues with sensor monitoring. Although I do not have the issue of the RAA229131 sesors completely disappearing as per OP, having these 2 sensors enabled causes sluggishness/unresponsive HWiNFOR for up to 5-10 seconds for each polling interval (occassionally more) and disabling these 2 sensors fixes this behaviour for me (Polling interval is 2000ms). Tried to the change the power management workaround you have suggested above but I don't see the Intel I2C Host Controller device in Device Manager. Only the following Intel devices are listed.

1706624166043.png

Hello Martin,

I have a MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi Motherboard (MS-7D89) with same RAA229131 VRM controller, and having a similar issues with sensor monitoring. Although I do not have the issue of the RAA229131 sesors completely disappearing as per OP, having these 2 sensors enabled causes sluggishness/unresponsive HWiNFOR for up to 5-10 seconds for each polling interval (occassionally more) and disabling these 2 sensors fixes this behaviour for me (Polling interval is 2000ms). Tried to the change the power management workaround you have suggested above but I don't see the Intel I2C Host Controller device in Device Manager. Only the following Intel devices are listed.

View attachment 10686

MSI mainboards use a different interface, so the fix via Device Manager doesn't apply here.
In your case the problem is most likely due to a collision with other monitoring/tweaking/fan control software. Are you running any such software?

MSI mainboards use a different interface, so the fix via Device Manager doesn't apply here.
In your case the problem is most likely due to a collision with other monitoring/tweaking/fan control software. Are you running any such software?
Yes, I do have NZXT Cam running, not for monitoring per se but sice I have a NZXT AIO and need it for AIO pump and fan control. I also know that NZXT Cam is notorius for such issues, will try disabling it and checking if it really is the culprit. :)

Yes, I do have NZXT Cam running, not for monitoring per se but sice I have a NZXT AIO and need it for AIO pump and fan control. I also know that NZXT Cam is notorius for such issues, will try disabling it and checking if it really is the culprit. :)
Quick update: It indeed was NZXT Cam causing the issue, and disabling it let's HWiNFO run smoothly. Also just found out that "FanControl" can indeed control both Pump and Fans for NZXT Kraken AIOs, and thats good riddance for NZXT Cam!!

Back