[Resolved] New to HWiNFO64, temp issues

Screenshot of HWiNFO64 after playing Battlefield 3

I've had an issue with my desktop beeping (the tower, not the monitor) during heavy gaming and I believe I've narrowed it down, after days of research, to something wrong in the BIOS.

I took that screenshot after the tower started beeping. The first green arrow points to "CPU Temp (originally designated "CPU 0" before I renamed it)." The second green arrow points to "CPU." I have no idea which one is actually monitoring the CPU's heat output. I'm assuming the first one is because the current and minimum temperatures displayed seem like that's what they should be when idling (what the computer was doing at that time).

I ran Prime 95 (to put only my CPU under load) for a few minutes and the beeping started. Apparently, my BIOS has the alarm beep set to when the CPU reaches 60 degrees Celsius. What doesn't make sense is that every program I've downloaded reads the CPU as <50 degrees (Core Temp, SpeedFan, HWiNFO64 - the first green arrow). The only thing that matches the BIOS reading is HWiNFO64's "CPU" reading (the second green arrow).

I'm am just beyond confused. Not to mention "Temperature 3" is about as vague as you can make it...

Someone on Desktop Review said that it might be a broken sensor or that it was being misread by the BIOS. He also said that the upper green circle (CPU 0 aka CPU Temp) is the CPUs internal sensor, so use that as reference. How do I get the BIOS to understand this, as well?

RE: New to HWiNFO64, temp issues

The first value (green) named as "CPU Temp" comes directly from the CPU thermal diode. However, on certain AMD processors this value often gives unreliable results.
The second value (under the ITE IT8720F sensor) comes from a dedicated SIO/Hardware Monitor chip and is probably measured by a sensor close to the CPU socket.
To give you a more precise answer need to know at least the machine specifications, especially mainboard. Best would be a HWiNFO report file.
Anyway, many mainboard vendors have their own utilities for system monitoring, so you could try such one too. Also, the values returned by BIOS are from my experience the most trustworthy.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana (3.2GHz)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6770

How would I create an HWiNFO report file?

Martin said:
You can create a report file from the main window - just click the Save Report icon.
Please try the GigaByte Easy Tune6 tool if the HWiNFO reported CPU temperature correlates with temperature reported by that tool.
You can download the tool from GIGABYTE homepage ( http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/motherboard_utility_gbttools_gbt_et6.exe ).

The following screenshots are of how I currently have HWiNFO64 set up. I see no option to create a report file anywhere:

HWiNFO 1
HWiNFO 2
HWiNFO 3
HWiNFO 4

Also, in the next screenshot, I highlight all of the similar temperatures across the different hardware monitoring programs (Core Temp, Speed Fan, HWiNFO64, and Easy Tune 6). For example, in red, the "CPU" reading from Easy Tune 6 matches "Temp2" from Speed Fan and those match "CPU Temp 2" from HWiNFO64. All three readings even hit 68 degrees Celsius when I ran Prime 95 for 30 minutes:

Correlation between various temperature-reading programs

Some of it is still a little confusing, but I'm quite pleased by my findings if they are, in fact, correct.

Sorry, but I cannot see the attached screenshots. It says "Invalid Attachment specified."
Can you please try to upload them to a different place?

Martin said:
Sorry, but I cannot see the attached screenshots. It says "Invalid Attachment specified."
Can you please try to upload them to a different place?

Sorry. They should be fine now.

Thanks. You don't need to submit the report anymore, I can see all the required information now.
So HWiNFO is correct about the temperatures and correlates with EasyTune. The CPU Temp1 is from the internal CPU diode and it's also the value reported by Core Temp.

You are only showing sensors. When you open hwinfo initially, it says [x] Sensor-only [Run] [Configure]. Untick the box by Sensor-only. This will give you the full hwinfo. Creating a report is then a button in the upper left of the new screen that pops up after you hit run

ssateneth said:
You are only showing sensors. When you open hwinfo initially, it says [x] Sensor-only [Run] [Configure]. Untick the box by Sensor-only. This will give you the full hwinfo. Creating a report is then a button in the upper left of the new screen that pops up after you hit run

Yea, I wasn't completely sure on what to do. I believe I just ticked "Sensors Only" and hit "Configure." That little box with "Run" and "Configure" doesn't show when I open up HWiNFO, but I should be able to find out how that works. Thanks!

Martin said:
Thanks. You don't need to submit the report anymore, I can see all the required information now.
So HWiNFO is correct about the temperatures and correlates with EasyTune. The CPU Temp1 is from the internal CPU diode and it's also the value reported by Core Temp.

Yay! This has been a pain in the butt the last few days. Glad I got this sorted out. One last question. "CPU Temp 1" in HWiNFO matches the value reported by Core Temp, but those also match "Temp3" in Speed Fan and "Temperature 3" in HWiNFO. Do I even need to worry about these? I'm assuming I can rest easy as long as I know that "CPU Temp 2" is the best way to monitor the CPU's heat output.

I cannot speak for SpeedFan, since I'm not its the author. But the situation is this: The IT8720 SIO hardware monitor can monitor 3 temperatures. The GIGABYTE EasyTune tool reports only 2 of them, whereas HWiNFO and SpeedFan report all 3 of them. Unfortunately only GIGABYTE knows where the "Temp3" is really connected and if it's connected at all. It happens on some mainboards that if their design doesn't connect some temperature inputs, they can report crazy values (like 200 C and similar). So this might be a valid temperature (somewhere from the mainboard) or might not. In either case, since GIGABYTE's BIOS and EasyTune ignore it, I wouldn't worry about it...

Excellent! Martin, I would like to thank you (very much) for your assistance regarding this matter. I've asked a lot of questions, but I've also learned a lot, as well.

More "rep" for you and please enjoy the rest of your day, fine sir :D

Back