Ryzen 3900X - temperature too hot?

hed848312

Hi,

my PC was was configured and built by a local PC dealer. It runs an AMD Ryzen 3900X on an Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming mainboard, a DARK ROCK PRO 4 air cooler and 4 fans in the chassis.

I use this PC mainly for image editing with Lightroom (which can now use all cores for certain functionalities).

The BIOS uses mostly default values, no overclocking etc.

When I look at the temperature data of the 3900X using HWINFO, it seems to me that the temperatures are far too high, see the attached jpg.

What do you think? Are these temperature as expected / regular or are they (far) too high?

Thanks for your help.

Manfred

Attachments

• hwinfo-sensor-temp.png
    hwinfo-sensor-temp.png
    465.2 KB · Views: 68
It is very high temps if actually real. Max allowed operating temp (Tj) is 95C and beyond 70~75C a ZEN2 CPU will reduce clocks voltages and/or never hit the advertized boost speeds.

Do you know what board BIOS/UEFI version are you using and if it is the latest available?
Also, did you install chipset drivers from AMD or ASUS, and CPU ZEN2 drivers from AMD?
What version of HWiNFO are you using?

After the above check you case ventilation/air flow and make sure its enough.
What is you case and how are the 4 fans configured?

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

>Max allowed operating temp (Tj) is 95C and beyond 70~75C a ZEN2 CPU will reduce clocks voltages and/or never hit the advertized boost speeds.

I have seen up to 6 cores (real & virtual) with 4600+ MHz running. Other cores have often reached 4350+ MHz.

>Do you know what board BIOS/UEFI version are you using and if it is the latest available?

Yes, it is the latest: BIOS Version 1404, 2019/11/08, Update AM4 combo PI 1.0.0.4 patch B

>Also, did you install chipset drivers from AMD or ASUS, and CPU ZEN2 drivers from AMD?

I installed the latest chipset driver, downloaded from ASUS website.

Are additional *CPU* drivers necessary? If yes, where can I download them?

>What version of HWiNFO are you using?

The latest, 6.14-3980. I also tried the beta 6.15-4000. I get similar temperatures. See attached screenshot

>After the above check you case ventilation/air flow and make sure its enough.

HWiNFO schows all fans running at 800-1500 rpm. Is there another way to check it?

>What is you case and how are the 4 fans configured?

It is a very large case, lian-li PC-D600 (http://www.lian-li.com/pc-d600/)

Still I am a little bit nervous about the high temperature. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Manfred

Attachments

• hwinfo-sensor-temp-2.png
    hwinfo-sensor-temp-2.png
    614.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The Tctl/Tdie value is the most relevant, some of the other TempX values might be invalid values read from sensors not connected.
According to the initial screenshot (Tctl/Tdie > 90 C), it's definitely too hot. You should check if your cooler is properly mounted and thermal paste properly applied.

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

>Max allowed operating temp (Tj) is 95C and beyond 70~75C a ZEN2 CPU will reduce clocks voltages and/or never hit the advertized boost speeds.

I have seen up to 6 cores (real & virtual) with 4600+ MHz running. Other cores have often reached 4350+ MHz.

>Do you know what board BIOS/UEFI version are you using and if it is the latest available?

Yes, it is the latest: BIOS Version 1404, 2019/11/08, Update AM4 combo PI 1.0.0.4 patch B

>Also, did you install chipset drivers from AMD or ASUS, and CPU ZEN2 drivers from AMD?

I installed the latest chipset driver, downloaded from ASUS website.

Are additional *CPU* drivers necessary? If yes, where can I download them?

>What version of HWiNFO are you using?

The latest, 6.14-3980. I also tried the beta 6.15-4000. I get similar temperatures. See attached screenshot

>After the above check you case ventilation/air flow and make sure its enough.

HWiNFO schows all fans running at 800-1500 rpm. Is there another way to check it?

>What is you case and how are the 4 fans configured?

It is a very large case, lian-li PC-D600 (http://www.lian-li.com/pc-d600/)

Still I am a little bit nervous about the high temperature. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Manfred
Yes I saw your case, but how are the fans configured? Out of 4 how many as intake and as exhaust? ...and in what places? You must ensure that the fresh air is going to the hardware and the hot air is getting out.

And check the CPU cooler as @Martin said. Could be this cause many temps I can see are normal...
Was the cooler with pre-applied thermal paste or you apply it your self?
If your cooler is in good contact with your CPU then it must be very hot too when you see the 90ies...

As I check to AMD there are no additional drivers other than the chipset’s, except RyzenMaster for monitoring.

Hi Martin and Zach,

thanks for your answers.

>Out of 4 how many as intake and as exhaust?

All four fans on the back side act as exhaust. On the left side there is the mainboard and one fan on the left back side, large openings on the left front side. On the right there are all disks (each disk has its own fan) and on the right back side three fans.

>Was the cooler with pre-applied thermal paste or you apply it your self?

The local PC dealer built the PC and applied the thermal paste. I do not know which kind of paste he used.

>As I check to AMD there are no additional drivers other than the chipset’s, except RyzenMaster for monitoring.

Thanks. This is what I have seen too. Ryzen Master is also installed (it shows about 50 degree Celsius in idle mode).

>You should check if your cooler is properly mounted and thermal paste properly applied.
>You must ensure that the fresh air is going to the hardware and the hot air is getting out.
>If your cooler is in good contact with your CPU then it must be very hot too when you see the 90ies...

Now I think it will be best to go back to the dealer asking him to double check the built and ask him to add another fan on the left side of the case.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Manfred

The fundamental principle of case air flow is to have fans both as exhaust and intake. And further of that is to have slightly more air as intake than as exhaust.

As for the CPU cooler someone should check its sitting, but even so... you can right now check like I said before.
Load your CPU, and when the temp is high 80+C for no more than 1-2 min you can touch the fins close to the CPU plate and see if it’s hot.
1) If it’s hot, then you need more case air flow and/or more CPU fan rpm.
2) If it’s not hot then there is something wrong with the contacting area. In this situation more CPU fan rpm or more case air flow won’t help.

Im saying this for you to know/locate the source of the problem before you take it back to dealer. So he can’t tricked you or say whatever... charge you for things that you don’t need... etc etc...

Hi,

my PC was was configured and built by a local PC dealer. It runs an AMD Ryzen 3900X on an Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming mainboard, a DARK ROCK PRO 4 air cooler and 4 fans in the chassis.

I use this PC mainly for image editing with Lightroom (which can now use all cores for certain functionalities).

The BIOS uses mostly default values, no overclocking etc.

When I look at the temperature data of the 3900X using HWINFO, it seems to me that the temperatures are far too high, see the attached jpg.

What do you think? Are these temperature as expected / regular or are they (far) too high?

Thanks for your help.

Manfred

I use Noctura NH-U14S with the optional second fan. I see idle temps in 35-40C then under full all core testing it gets to 73-74C even if I leave it like that for 20-30 minutes and all cores are running at 4050-4125mhz. I do have a tone of fans, 2 Noctura 140mm top of case, 2 in front of drive bays and then a 120mm back of case. I leave the fans at about 70-80% until temps get up to 65C then I let them ramp up to 100%. The fan and air noise is there, but low and acceptable and no risk of water leaks.

Back