Sensor Show Checkbox State in Backup Files

SpeedyIV

For a sensor item that is monitored, does the state of the "Show" checkbox get written to the registry when a backup REG file is made by clicking Backup User Settings in the Main menu?

I played around with a group of sensors - checking and unchecking the Show checkbox in the Layout tab, and backing up user settings to REG files with the sensors shown and not shown. One backup was made with all sensors shown (all.REG). A second backup was made with 10 sensors not shown (Some.REG).

With all the sensors shown, I saved and closed HWINO. Then I ran the Some.Reg file. When I opened HWINFO, the sensors were not shown. This makes sense because in the Some.REG file, the Show checkbox for these sensors is not checked, and running that backup file changed these values in the registry to not show (I think).

Inversely, with the sensors not shown, I saved and closed HWINFO Then I ran the All.Reg file. I thought that when I then opened HWINFO, all the sensors would be shown even though they were not shown when I saved and closed, because running the All.REG file would cause the values for these sensors to be set to Show again. in the registry

It seems I can hide sensors, do a back up, and run that back up when I want those sensors hidden. But if a sensor is already hidden, running a backup made when it was not hidden does not cause it to reappear the next time HWINFO is started. I am confused, and maybe totally off base on how the state of a sensor Show checkbox is stored in a backup file.

The reason I started messing with this is I wanted to have several "presets" for the Sensor Status panel. One for everything, one for overclocking RAM, one for stress tests. The only difference in these Presets would be which sensors are shown, and their order. I thought I could set up the Sensor Status panel the way I want it, then do a back up. To get back to that view from any other view, I would close HWINFO, run the desired backup file, then restart HWINFO. I don't see a way to force a refresh of the Sensor Status panel other than closing and reopening the program. Is there one, and does what I am trying to do make sense? I know I can just export the data and set up multiple views and layouts in various 3rd party solutions, but I would like to be able to switch between several different Sensor Status panel layouts in HWINFO.

Exact behavior here also depends on whether you have the Fixed order activated because hidden sensor values are saved in registry as row = -2.
Also, not all values are saved into registry to reduce the amount of data stored. Those that currently have the default value won't be saved.
If you have a custom order activated, replacing the settings with another set that doesn't overwrite all values could mess up the layout.
But there is a simple fix for this - every time before you restore a set of settings make sure to first clear the current settings (or delete the entire "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HWiNFO64\Sensors" key in registry).

Thanks Martin. I think the default value for the Show checkbox is Show (checked), so when I uncheck Show for a group of sensors, this is not the default value so it gets saved to the registry. Conversely, when I change them back to Show, this is the default value so its not written to the registry, so when I run HWINFO after running the All.REG file, the hidden sensors are still hidden because the change from don't Show to Show was not written to the registry.

I will definitely have Fixed Order deactivated since the custom views I want will group sensors that are normally not adjacent to each other. I understand I can delete the key in the registry but how do I clear the current settings from within HWINFO? Will Reset Preferences do this?

Thanks Martin. I think the default value for the Show checkbox is Show (checked), so when I uncheck Show for a group of sensors, this is not the default value so it gets saved to the registry. Conversely, when I change them back to Show, this is the default value so its not written to the registry, so when I run HWINFO after running the All.REG file, the hidden sensors are still hidden because the change from don't Show to Show was not written to the registry.
Yes, exactly.
I will definitely have Fixed Order deactivated since the custom views I want will group sensors that are normally not adjacent to each other. I understand I can delete the key in the registry but how do I clear the current settings from within HWINFO? Will Reset Preferences do this?
Yes, Reset Preferences will do that. Or you can use the regedit tool.

Back