Sensor startup freezes computer

Tirael

Hello,

half of the time I try to start sensors on latest version of HWiNFO64 (5.51-3135, but I tried several previous versions too with same results) the computer get completely frozen and I have to do hard reboot. I have no problems with rig so far, only this. I'm attaching DBG file.

Specs:
Ryzen 1700
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3, running F6 BIOS
MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB
16GB LPX Vengeance 3200 @2933
Running latest version(creators update) of Win10 64bit Pro.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    147.8 KB · Views: 4
Well, this seems to be a problem with the 2nd SIO/LPC chip - ITE IT8792E. Sometimes trying to access it can cause a system hang.
This is not a problem of HWiNFO, but a general one, as I got such report also from the Linux community when trying to access monitoring data from this chip. So it happens on a totally different system, where HWiNFO is not involved at all.
Not sure how to fix this problem yet. One solution might be to add a switch to HWiNFO to completely skip accessing this chip (and its sensor data).
Another solution that might reduce the probability of a system hang might be to disable monitoring of the IT8792E chip when HWiNFO starts - in the sensors window select the IT8792E sensor heading and click the Del button.
Best would be if some future BIOS update would include a fix for this chip, but I'm not sure if this is possible nor if GIGABYTE cares about this problem.

I have just released HWiNFO v5.51-3141 Beta.
With this version you use a temporary workaround to avoid this problem. Open the HWiNFO64.INI file (using Notepad or similar text editing tool) and put the following entry at the end of the file:
LPC2=0

This will completely disable access to the secondary LPC chip and thus you will also loose all sensor values from this chip.
It's just a temporary workaround to avoid system freezing until a better solution is found.
I don't recommend to use this workaround on other systems - it would unnecessary skip access to secondary LPC chips (if present).

Back