Shady button in new version?

lolcat

Hey folks, trying to understand what happened to me here. I had an older version, 6.40ish, and hit the "update" button when prompted on a startup.

That took me here: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
Then I hit the "installer" button for the first option, going to Fosshub (https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html).

After updating to v6.42-4360 using the downloaded installer (hwi_642.exe). I noticed a new button at the bottom of the sensor screen. Hitting this button opens my browser going to driverfix.com which appears to be some sort of fake driver fixing site (possibly even malware - I don't know). My browser won't even open this page because my adblock detects it as "badware". I don't see anything in the version history about this and am wondering if this download has been tampered with?

I tried the US CDN and it also had this button.

Attachments

• hw1.png
    hw1.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 19
  • hw2.png
    hw2.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
This is not malware, but an affiliate product that helps us to keep providing HWiNFO free.

Affiliated it may be, but it's crap. I bought this ONLY because it was cited in your program. I bought three copies, installed all three on new PCs I built, and all three times it was junk.

It downloaded 18 drivers, after DriverEasy and Drive Booster had both said the machines were up to date; then it would NOT install anything....it just halted....multiple times. No buttons to allow it to proceed, no link, no explanations..... but it turned out that was a good thing, as after I finally located the driver files, three of them were for hp hardware, and one was from intel that said if installed it would downgrade my driver! Absolute junk. I deleted all the so-called drivers....I have contacted them demanding a refund, and I have removed YOUR software also! I suggest you hire someone to perform due diligence before you select "affiliates" in the future.

I'm sorry about that, our experience with them was relatively well so far. And we also need to find ways how to cover the costs for making such software (currently free), but most of the other options were much worse.
There are some significant changes planned in HWiNFO that will affect this affiliate as well.

I'm sorry about that, our experience with them was relatively well so far. And we also need to find ways how to cover the costs for making such software (currently free), but most of the other options were much worse.
There are some significant changes planned in HWiNFO that will affect this affiliate as well.
I know your software, I've used it for literally years and years now... I know you take your work seriously and I'm doubting that the obviously disgruntled individual above truly gets you twisted up but I wanted to ensure that I dropped a line here in this thread to say

Thank you so very incredibly much for all of your incredibly hard work on this piece of software

It just keeps growing and growing and all I see is progress

The driver deal has been there for a minute now and, unlike the other bud, I always figured it was a way to get some semblance of a return on the investment of your energy and time in providing us with free access to your product

Again, thanks so incredibly much for everything you've done and all that you will do

I'm also concerned about that shady button, it gave me some doubt that HWiNFO is supporting crapware and such. I think the developer should find a better, more reputable sponsor to this great project.

Do I understand correctly that the driverfix-link is also included in the Pro version? I actually wanted to buy this because of the "Shared Memory support" feature.

MalwareBytes blocks this site www.driverfix.com as riskware I take such warnings seriously.

There must be a better way to keep this free or better software to use. For example CCleaner can do the same and you can ignore the recommendations or do the updates manually.

I can't say that I'm very happy about the current referral, but there are certainly much worse options available and what I try to avoid most is installer bundling.
If the situation with DriveFix will become more serious or a better solution will be found, a change will happen.

Back