silent install HWiNFO without the post-install launch?

moop

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section, apologies in advance if it is not and needs to be moved.

I am looking to perform a silent install of HWiNFO without it launching the program after installing. Is it is possible to install from the CLI, without manually recompiling the installer?

I noticed that the installer used is Inno Setup, and been playing around with the following switches "hw32_432.exe /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES" which will overwrite any existing ini file and completely silently install the program, but it will launch HWiNFO32.exe. I could && taskkill /im HWiNFO32.exe /f, to instantly kill the app post-install but that seems messy.

There don't seem to be any .inf settings that will help, but I have been able to extract the install_script.iss file from the installer with innoup, to modify it with istool and then to repack it with isetup to accomplish what I am looking for.

There is a single line in the setup that I have been changing from:
Filename: {app}\HWiNFO32.EXE; Description: Launch HWiNFO32; Flags: shellexec postinstall nowait
To:
Filename: {app}\HWiNFO32.EXE; Description: Launch HWiNFO32; Flags: shellexec postinstall nowait skipifsilent

(modify the same line in the same file extracted from hw64_432.exe to correct this in the 64bit installer)

This change will tell the installer to ignore the post-install program launch if installed silently.
I would rather not have to recompile the file every single time a new version comes out however.
Does anyone with more Inno Setup experience than me have any solutions?
- If not, can we discuss having this modification be part of the default configuration going forward?

You don't need to bother with the installer, you can just unpack the portable version of HWiNFO.
The only thing the installer does more is to add the program into the list of installed applications (for uninstall) and create entries in the Programs list. That's all ;)

Martin said:
The only thing the installer does more is to add the program into the list of installed applications (for uninstall) and create entries in the Programs list. That's all ;)

I am actually looking for the installer; to create entries in the Programs list, to use in generating reports and pushing out enterprise updates for users who intentionally don't have admin rights and would be unable update the program themselves. I could add a group policy script to perform a tasklist + taskkill and then overwrite the files based off of the install path from the registry, but an msi or truly silent installer would be preferable.

Then you can create you own installer using InnoSetup. Just take the 2 files from installed package (HWiNFO32.EXE and HWiNFO32.INI) and using a simple ISS script, you can compile your own without launching HWiNFO at the end. If you don't know how to write this script, I can provide you such.

Back