SSD temperature reading

• Thread starter Deleted member 180
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 180

I've got 3 storage devices on my pc. One SSD and two WD HDD drives. The SMART reading for my SSD always shows 128 degrees so I guess it doesn't have a temperature sensor. So, I have hidden this sensor reading. The problem is that when I restart my computer the SSD sensor reading appears and one of the WD HDD sensor reading disappears. It is completely random which drive sensor appears.

Before restart

[attachment=286]

After restart

[attachment=287]

Attachments

• SSD reading 01.jpg
    SSD reading 01.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 9
  • SSD reading 02.jpg
    SSD reading 02.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 9
Yes, it seems the SSD doesn't have a temperature sensor.
Please send me a screenshot of the Sensor Configure screen before and after restart, it might also be helpful to attach a registry dump of the following key (using regedit): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HWiNFO64
Also one question: this this problem occur also after you close and start HWiNFO64 again, or is a reboot required to reproduce it?

You might also try to "Reset Preferences" prior to HWiNFO start to see if this fixes the problem.

Martin said:
Yes, it seems the SSD doesn't have a temperature sensor.
Please send me a screenshot of the Sensor Configure screen before and after restart, it might also be helpful to attach a registry dump of the following key (using regedit): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HWiNFO64
Also one question: this this problem occur also after you close and start HWiNFO64 again, or is a reboot required to reproduce it?

You might also try to "Reset Preferences" prior to HWiNFO start to see if this fixes the problem.

This only happens when I reboot my machine. I tried "Reset Preferences" with no success. I've attached screenshots and registry dumps. I noticed that the order of the storage devices changes order between reboots and I think this may be causing this problem.

Attachments

• HWINFO64.zip
    315.6 KB · Views: 1
Definitively, that must be the reason.
Does the order of devices after reboot change in system and HWiNFO64 under Drives ?
Can you please attach the respective Debug Files with sensor data too?

Martin said:
Definitively, that must be the reason.
Does the order of devices after reboot change in system and HWiNFO64 under Drives ?
Can you please attach the respective Debug Files with sensor data too?

Yes, the order in system matches the order in the sensor window. I've attached the debug files.

Attachments

• HWINFO64.zip
    50.3 KB · Views: 1
Indeed, the debug files confirm, that the order of drives in system changes after reboot and that's the reason why your sensor settings in HWiNFO are applied to a different drive after reboot.
Since HWiNFO keeps the settings per device index, there's no easy fix for this. I'd rather search for the reason why this happens. Do you have an idea why?

Martin said:
Indeed, the debug files confirm, that the order of drives in system changes after reboot and that's the reason why your sensor settings in HWiNFO are applied to a different drive after reboot.
Since HWiNFO keeps the settings per device index, there's no easy fix for this. I'd rather search for the reason why this happens. Do you have an idea why?

I don't have an idea why this happens. Maybe it is because I have the WD drives configured in raid 0 using windows dynamic volumes. I tried disabling SMART monitoring in the bios for the SSD drive but it still appears on the sensor window. I have all drives configured in AHCI mode and don't know if this is causing the problem too. Can't you bind the drives to the SATA port number? If you order them by the sata port number this won't happen unless I switch the sata ports where they're connected.

That won't be easy, but I'll have a look at it.
Anyway, I think it's not ok when the order of drives changes between boots and that it should be fixed on operating system level.

Martin said:
That won't be easy, but I'll have a look at it.
Anyway, I think it's not ok when the order of drives changes between boots and that it should be fixed on operating system level.

I've got no issues with the operating system. Everything works fine and drives allways have the same letter assigned. I don't know what may be causing this. The operating system's drive is on sata port 3 and maybe if I change it to sata port 1 will resolve this.

Back