Started Hanging Loading Sensors

jl6speed

Not sure if anyone else has a similar issue, but my computer started to hang while loading HWInfo.  I've actually been using HWInfo for quite some time (over a year) with no issues.  However last night, I rebooted my computer and while loading up, it just starts hanging.  I've isolated the issue down to HWInfo when it is loading up sensors only.  I don't recall changing anything with the computer, and the odd thing is it was working fine before.  I was on Windows 7, and as I couldn't get it to not hang, I ended up wiping and starting fresh.  Everything was working just fine until I installed HWInfo again and it would just freeze upon loading sensors.  I've attached my debug log, if anyone can help assist.  Thanks!

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    351.7 KB · Views: 1
HWiNFO hangs while scanning the GPU, so this could be related to some change in NVIDIA drivers.
Have you recently upgraded them ?
Could you please try to downgrade the driver (or upgrade if not running the latest) to see if that might solve it ?
Please let me know the results.

Martin said:
HWiNFO hangs while scanning the GPU, so this could be related to some change in NVIDIA drivers.
Have you recently upgraded them ?
Could you please try to downgrade the driver (or upgrade if not running the latest) to see if that might solve it ?
Please let me know the results.

I haven't updated Nvidia drivers for some time.  The only update I've done was the Apr Cumulative Patch on Win7.

Martin said:
What is the date and version of your NVIDIA GPU driver ?

On my previous install, I was on version 32*.**  I haven't updated for quite a while.

I reinstalled Win10 and I was on version 378.**.  I just updated again to the latest 382.05.

My Intel Graphics driver is 20.19.15.4531 if it matters.

Could this also be the Asmedia drivers?

[attachment=2303]
[attachment=2304]

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Image 2.png
    Image 2.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 2
Well, ASMedia drivers are known to cause a lot of problems. You might first try to disable Drive Scan in HWiNFO to see whether it's related...

Martin said:
Well, ASMedia drivers are known to cause a lot of problems. You might first try to disable Drive Scan in HWiNFO to see whether it's related...

Rolled back all the drivers to Microsoft ones.  I disabled Drive Scan and it still freezes.

I've attached my latest debug log after running that setup.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    346.6 KB · Views: 1
Yes, I will try to fix this in the next Beta build, which is scheduled for release tomorrow.

Martin said:
Yes, I will try to fix this in the next Beta build, which is scheduled for release tomorrow.

Sweet!  I appreciate all your hard work!  I've been using HWiNFO with rainmeter and it's the only thing buggin my PC out not being able to get stats.

Tested out the Beta 5.1-3150 and it loads up without freezing the system! Very much appreciate the fix!

Out of curiosity, what was causing the hang? Was it possible that I updated to a newer Intel drivers and it broke something?

Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad that it works now.
The problem was when HWiNFO tried to read the VBIOS of the NVIDIA GPU. I don't know why it was happening, or what exactly was causing it.
And since I lack some details from NVIDIA how to fix this, I removed that entire part. It was not needed anymore.

Martin said:
Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad that it works now.
The problem was when HWiNFO tried to read the VBIOS of the NVIDIA GPU. I don't know why it was happening, or what exactly was causing it.
And since I lack some details from NVIDIA how to fix this, I removed that entire part. It was not needed anymore.

It was odd that the system would load thru (on the prev build) just by disabling Intel's integrated GPU.  I actually run 4 monitors w/ my PC, 3 off of my GTX 770, and 1 off of Intel.

I can't recall updating anything asides from a windows cumulative patch before I had to wipe and start over (since I had HWiNFO on auto start and comp would freeze few seconds after logging in).  I was using fairly dated GPU drivers and an older version of HWiNFO from over half a year ago, where things were running fine for months.

Just glad it's working again!

The fact that it went thru was because HWiNFO was reading the VBIOS only when the NVIDIA GPU was secondary.

I feel like w/ the beta HWiNFO running with your fix, sometimes when I try to wake my monitors from idle, my computer GPU stays locked up (my screen stays off and USB inputs don't wake the monitors and I have to force reboot).

I've stopped running HWiNFO for the time being and I've been able to wake my computer 100% of the time. This issue started recently since using the beta HWiNFO that fixed my original issue in the original post.

That would really be unusual, as the fix that I added could only improve things, not make anything worse.
So it must be something else, but very hard to diagnose such problem..
Perhaps try to disable monitoring of some sensors (hit Del key on the sensor heading) and see if you find some that might be causing this.

Martin said:
That would really be unusual, as the fix that I added could only improve things, not make anything worse.
So it must be something else, but very hard to diagnose such problem..
Perhaps try to disable monitoring of some sensors (hit Del key on the sensor heading) and see if you find some that might be causing this.

Could it be something regarding waking of sleeping GPU causing the inability to wake the displays?

Back