Stops controlling CPU fan when I close the Fan Control window

MrTom

Just installed v7.26. I have the option checked to Minimize Sensors Instead of Closing. When I close it, it does stay in the system tray, but RPM of the fan drops to 0. I click the Fan icon on the main window to bring up the Fan Control window, then the fan starts spinning when it opens and I see and the RPM reading again. I have to click Minimize All in order to keep the fan spinning with my Custom Auto timing.

I'm using it on a Dell Inspiron 3505. The BIOS's curve really sucks. A new fan lasted a little over a month because I think it got so hot inside for so long, then the fan just ceased up.

I won't have this laptop here for much longer, it's a customer's I'm working on. But I just wanted to mention it as it doesn't seem like the intended function with the option enabled. I hope my customer doesn't open the software then click the X to close it by habit.

I went ahead and reset the configuration and started over. Set all my options to Auto Start and minimize on start, but now when I close the Fan Control window it's like the BIOS is taking over and the fan goes to 2500. When I open the window it starts using my Custom Auto setting and the RPM goes to 5800 per my temperature settings. If I press Minimize All then it keeps using my Custom Auto settings.

This is intended behavior, the fan control window must not be closed.
But there's no visual distinction if you close it or minimize it other than functionality stops. So I really don't get what "Minimize Sensors Instead of Closing" is suppose to do. I thought it would minimize the sensor control when I "closed" it. So you're saying I still have to minimize it? Like when you click Windows Security, you expect it to stay running when you click the X to close it. You always have the right-click option on most tray icons to close/exit them. I'll just have to tell my customer to stay out of the software and don't open it since he could easily disable it without even knowing.

That's a good point - "Minimize Sensors Instead of Closing" should apply also to the fan control window but doesn't. This will be fixed in the next build.

That's a good point - "Minimize Sensors Instead of Closing" should apply also to the fan control window but doesn't. This will be fixed in the next build.
Thank you. :)
Very amazing software by the way. I'm surprised it was able to read the Dell's sensors.

@Martin
Is it possible to auto apply fan custom settings after restart ? I am on v7.50 (Dell Laptop) and I have to manually open the fan settings after each restart to enable or apply custom auto and then click minimize all.

Yes, you need to add this setting:

Back