Sudden shutdown on high use

SilentStorm

Hello,

I have since a few month problems with a laptop. Everything works fine on normal use, but under high use (code compilation, 3D rendering or gaming), the computer systematically shuts down after a short time.
I tried many things, here is the list : starting with a complete clean-up for dust, thermal paste/pads re-application, undervolting the CPU, drivers update, windows reinstallation, fast startup deactivation, checked the memories with MemTest, used sfc/scannow and some other more. I also bought a new power supply.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is a bios update but I'm a little skittish about this.

But nothing changes, after some time, the computer shuts down. Weirder not all "high use" software trigger this.
Temperature does not seems to be the problem at first glance, undervolted and with turbo disabled, CPU temp does not go above 80C° at max use and the pc still shuts down.
Of course, windows event log is unhelpfull, only stating a unexpected shutdown.

So I'm coming for a little help for the diagnostic.

The pc specs : MSI GS-70 2QE Stealth Pro
CPU : Intel Core i7-4720HQ
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M [MSI]
Motherboard : MSI MS-1773

I also include a HWINFO log of a session where the computer shuts down. The log is about 5minutes long, starts with pc at idle state > high use > shut down.
Maybe someone can see what goes wrong in it.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Log1.rar
    29 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It would be nice if you could provide more details on what exactly happens when the system shuts down. Do you get a BSOD or does the system just turn off suddenly (in an instant) and unexpectedly like the power was cut? Does it occur faster once the system is heated up?

Next, I recommend to run programs that load only either CPU or GPU, although it's not entirely possible with the latter (something has to feed data to the GPU and that's the CPU...). Run something like Prime95 or CineBench. This might reveal if the CPU or GPU or some other component gets too hot.

Furthermore, please keep in mind that although the CPU temperature might be OK, it doesn't necessarily apply to the temperature of other components. Everything heats up in a system packed as tightly as laptops, especially over longer periods of time. In other words, I wouldn't rule out temperature as the culprit. You could try blowing fresh air into the system using a regular fan, e.g. computer fan or one for room/home use (don't know what they're called in English).

Regards
Dalai

It would be nice if you could provide more details on what exactly happens when the system shuts down. Do you get a BSOD or does the system just turn off suddenly (in an instant) and unexpectedly like the power was cut? Does it occur faster once the system is heated up?

Next, I recommend to run programs that load only either CPU or GPU, although it's not entirely possible with the latter (something has to feed data to the GPU and that's the CPU...). Run something like Prime95 or CineBench. This might reveal if the CPU or GPU or some other component gets too hot.

Furthermore, please keep in mind that although the CPU temperature might be OK, it doesn't necessarily apply to the temperature of other components. Everything heats up in a system packed as tightly as laptops, especially over longer periods of time. In other words, I wouldn't rule out temperature as the culprit. You could try blowing fresh air into the system using a regular fan, e.g. computer fan or one for room/home use (don't know what they're called in English).

Regards
Dalai

Well it just shuts down. No bsod, nothing. Just off. The event log error is 63 : Unexpected stop. So no chance for windows to log anything.

I already tried benchmarks but once again the results are weird. Sometimes it shuts down instantly, sometime it takes time. I'm still investigating on that side.

And yes, I already oppened the back panel with a fan blowing inside, it allows the cpu temps to be lower but the shut down still happens.
Maybe it's a single ring component that's overheating, but why the change? And how to find it ? :/
Maybe someone can read it in the log info.

And btw, if you or anyone knows a software able to log/analyse shutdowns it could be helpful.

Thanks for the answer.

Sudden power cuts can't be analyzed with software because the OS isn't running anymore when that happens. You log doesn't show anything unusual as far as I can see. But it probably doesn't contain all readouts within the last few seconds before the system shut down. My guess is that a component is either overheating or failing. Can't do anything about it if it's the latter....

Regards
Dalai

That component must be sending a signal for everything to shutdown, isn't there a way to see the origin?
I hope it's just overheating, I'm currently trying new ways to cool it down.

And just to confirm, updating the bios wouldn't change anything? I kinda want to avoid the procedure if it's useless.

Thank you for your answer.

That component must be sending a signal for everything to shutdown [...]
Not necessarily. Usually it's some kind of protection circuit that is triggered and when that happens, the whole system just shuts off within a second or so. One example is OCP (over current protection) in desktop PC PSUs. There are several kinds of protection circuits in computer systems these days.

[...] isn't there a way to see the origin?
Sure, there is, but not really for end-users. And I doubt you want to bring your laptop to someone who has the technical knowledge and equipment to diagnose such an issue. Louis Rossmann comes to mind, although he only cares about Apple devices.

And just to confirm, updating the bios wouldn't change anything? I kinda want to avoid the procedure if it's useless.
It's hard to say. If it's a hardware issue - which is really hard to tell - a BIOS update most likely won't change anything. OTOH a BIOS update can fix bugs and usually it doesn't hurt. Yes, I know it's possible to brick a system when the power suddenly goes out, but as long as the laptop battery has enough charge it has its own integrated "UPS". Just make sure to NOT make the update under Windows but from a bootable device or within the BIOS (if available).

Regards
Dalai

Back