Thanks for the Intel PCH Temperature!

parsec

Martin, I noticed that you recently added the display of the Intel PCH temperature to HWiNFO64. Thanks so much for this, as no other hardware monitoring program I am aware of displays this information (besides AI Suite II on some ASUS boards.)

My ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 board cooperates with HWiNFO64 (Nuvoton NCT6776F chip) and seems to show a valid PCH temperature. The Z77 chipset on this board has a small standard heat sink, and my case/fan setup provides some air circulation to the chipset area. Given the HWiNFO64 readings, when started shortly after the Windows desktop is displayed (SSD boot drive), I've never seen the Z77 temp below ~43C, with a max temp of ~ 52C.

The PCH temperature will change during a HWiNFO64 run, and will move up or down by a single degree C at a time, that being the smallest increment apparently. Ambient temps, operating level of the PC, and fan speeds all can cause changes in the displayed PCH temp, so IMO it works very well.

I know some of the earlier Intel chipsets had a minimum temp value (ie, P45 temp data started at ~50C) regardless of the actual temp, and the HWiNFO display would show one value constantly. I don't know if the Z77 has a minimum temp data value, but in my experience it slowly rises from ~45C from a cold boot, and usually stays between 47 and 50C. So it all seems to be working.

Just FYI, as I think I recall you mentioning in a forum thread that you weren't sure if and how well the PCH temp reading was working on some boards.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, as I already stated the PCH internal temperature is a mystery in the later PCHs. Also, Intel's documentation about it is not very clear (and sometimes confusing) so I personally don't trust this value much. But I decided to report it in case it might provide relevant values...

Martin said:
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, as I already stated the PCH internal temperature is a mystery in the later PCHs. Also, Intel's documentation about it is not very clear (and sometimes confusing) so I personally don't trust this value much. But I decided to report it in case it might provide relevant values...

You're welcome. I'm sorry to hear you feel the temp data from the latest PCHs may not be trustworthy.

FWIW, I tried my laser IR thermometer on the Z77 PCH on my board. This PCH has a small heatsink, without a heat pipe, and only services the PCH. It has a decorative cover on it that hides most of the heat sinks surface. I had the PC on for an hour, and HWiNFO64 showed the Current PCH temp as 45C (Min of 43C, Max of 51C), which was a stable value at the time of my testing.

The weather cooled off here a bit today, so that temp was slightly lower than it has been, but was certainly within the usual range I see. The highest temperature reading I saw from the IR thermometer was 40.5C.

IMO, considering I was measuring the temperature of the surface of the heat sink, which I would expect to be somewhat cooler than the chip itself, a reading of 40.5C correlates very well with the 45C reading from the PCH data, and HWiNFO64's processing of that data. Although just one casual test, it looks like the Z77 PCH temperature data may be a fairly valid value.

parsec said:
Martin, I noticed that you recently added the display of the Intel PCH temperature to HWiNFO64. Thanks so much for this, as no other hardware monitoring program I am aware of displays this information (besides AI Suite II on some ASUS boards.)

My ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 board cooperates with HWiNFO64 (Nuvoton NCT6776F chip) and seems to show a valid PCH temperature. The Z77 chipset on this board has a small standard heat sink, and my case/fan setup provides some air circulation to the chipset area. Given the HWiNFO64 readings, when started shortly after the Windows desktop is displayed (SSD boot drive), I've never seen the Z77 temp below ~43C, with a max temp of ~ 52C.

The PCH temperature will change during a HWiNFO64 run, and will move up or down by a single degree C at a time, that being the smallest increment apparently. Ambient temps, operating level of the PC, and fan speeds all can cause changes in the displayed PCH temp, so IMO it works very well.

I know some of the earlier Intel chipsets had a minimum temp value (ie, P45 temp data started at ~50C) regardless of the actual temp, and the HWiNFO display would show one value constantly. I don't know if the Z77 has a minimum temp data value, but in my experience it slowly rises from ~45C from a cold boot, and usually stays between 47 and 50C. So it all seems to be working.

Just FYI, as I think I recall you mentioning in a forum thread that you weren't sure if and how well the PCH temp reading was working on some boards.

Hi Guys,

Just for your information, Intel Desktop Utilities does track and display PCH temps and a number of others. Mine is at 70 C after warm up +_ 2 C on both. Now would one of you mind telling me what PCH stands for, one of my outstanding questions, thanks for the opportunity?

Just as an aside, do either one of you know why Memory temp would drop to 0 C suddenly from 57 C on both software apps? Could it be the internal sensor gives out? I have seen this once before and a while later the Intel Desktop Utilities comes out with an alert of 127 C (the alert value is set to 90 C) which i don't believe neither any more then 0 C. I would appreciate any input that you might have.

Best Regards,

Crysta

PCH is the chipset temperature. Intel Desktop Utilities might read this value from the PCH internal sensor or from a diode placed near the PCH.
In HWiNFO you can distinguish this by the sensor - if the value is under the "Intel PCH" sensor, then it comes from the internal sensor, if it is under a different sensor (ITE, Winbond, Fintek, etc), then it can come from a diode near the sensor, or from the internal sensor as well (in case it's pushed via PECI to LPC/SIO/EC).

A value dropping to 0 might mean an invalid reading.

Martin said:
PCH is the chipset temperature. Intel Desktop Utilities might read this value from the PCH internal sensor or from a diode placed near the PCH.
In HWiNFO you can distinguish this by the sensor - if the value is under the "Intel PCH" sensor, then it comes from the internal sensor, if it is under a different sensor (ITE, Winbond, Fintek, etc), then it can come from a diode near the sensor, or from the internal sensor as well (in case it's pushed via PECI to LPC/SIO/EC).

A value dropping to 0 might mean an invalid reading.

Thank You Martin for your explanations, I haven't had time to do a detailed study of all the different architectures and the related nuances and acronyms, therefore I don't understand all that you have said. I will learn over time but right now I am focused on software and it seems to be coming along quite well. Your info display though is invaluable for the values I do understand to know the hardware is stable on this PC.

Crysta

PCH stands for Platform Control Hub, which contains most if not all of what the early generation CPU Southbridge support chips contained, plus some of those that were in the Northbridge. Many of the functions in those two older chips are now on the CPU itself, and in the not to distant future, the PCH will disappear too, as it will all be in the CPU.

I've used IDU, and find it to be extremely sensitive to any other hardware monitoring program running at the same time. It would show crazy readings and create alarms from the readings. IDU must be used alone, and if a non-monitoring program is bothering it, IDU needs help...

BTW, what PCH do you have that runs at 70C?

parsec said:
PCH stands for Platform Control Hub, which contains most if not all of what the early generation CPU Southbridge support chips contained, plus some of those that were in the Northbridge. Many of the functions in those two older chips are now on the CPU itself, and in the not to distant future, the PCH will disappear too, as it will all be in the CPU.

I've used IDU, and find it to be extremely sensitive to any other hardware monitoring program running at the same time. It would show crazy readings and create alarms from the readings. IDU must be used alone, and if a non-monitoring program is bothering it, IDU needs help...

Hi,

That would explain the anomalies I am getting then on more the one temperature reading on both monitor facilities. I will turn off IDU and her services and see how that works with HWiNFO since that is the one I really want. IDU was just a handy way of looking at some of the BIOS results live, that's all I was really using it for. It was also a handy comparison to HWiNFO. My chipset is SandyBridge, with a i7 ????(3700, I think?) CPU. I don't have the PC on to quickly look it up. It is all but brand new, in April.

Thank You for the response,

Crysta

PhotM said:
parsec said:

Hi,

That would explain the anomalies I am getting then on more the one temperature reading on both monitor facilities. I will turn off IDU and her services and see how that works with HWiNFO since that is the one I really want. IDU was just a handy way of looking at some of the BIOS results live, that's all I was really using it for. It was also a handy comparison to HWiNFO. My chipset is SandyBridge, with a i7 ????(3700, I think?) CPU. I don't have the PC on to quickly look it up. It is all but brand new, in April.

Thank You for the response,

Crysta

Hi Again,

i7-2600k 3.4 GHz is the exact info. :)

Crysta

Back